Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pictures from our soldiers in Farah with their quilts!! >

Pictures from our soldiers in Farah with their quilts!!

Pictures from our soldiers in Farah with their quilts!!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Jan, Thanks for all you've done to make this happen. It gladdens my heart to see the joy the quilts are giving to people who have given up so much in service to our country!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 AM

What a wonderful project - the pictures are inspiring. Ordinary men doing an outstanding job - the soldiers sure do appreciate efforts and your thoughtfulness. Thanks for the pictures - a prayer said for their safety.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Thank you all for your generousity donating quilts to the soldiers. My grandson is in Afghan and I know how they appreciate all your hard work. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Wonderful...thanks for posting.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM

So nice :-D
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM

How wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Jan!!!

Looks like they are happy to have them!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I love these pics of the guys getting the love in a quilt from home. Thanks for posting them for us to see.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Pookie,
Thank you for the reminder and concern about photos like these. In this particular case, the photos were requested ahead of time, taken with the commander's full awareness, and sent specifically to me for posting here on this board. Our quiltmakers have been waiting over 2 months to "meet" their boys, I hope most are finding it worth it. :D

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I don't think he's homesick. It's more likely that he's wishing the photog would hurry up already. Things to do, you know, and with constant interruptions.

Cool pix. I made a blanket to keep my soldier warm. It really makes a difference. Imagine working 14 hr days 7 days a week and freezing while trying to sleep. Bless everyone who makes and sends comfort from home.

A great blanket for those without artificial heat is actually an afghan with a flannel backing. It molds to the body and works well in conjunction with whatever they're already using.

I'm sure you got permission to post the pix. Just an FYI for others, always get permission. I can't even post my soldier with a visible name tape and yet I see OPSEC/PERSEC violating pix all over the net.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM

What a wonderful thing that was done by all....I would love to contribute if this is done again. Great job!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Many of you reading this thread have asked if this project was ongoing; yes it is. Our original goal was 128 quilts for this special battery of men in Farah, Afghanistan, many of whom are in particularly harsh situations in their living environment.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63082-1.htm

We will meet that need by the end of January, hopefully, when we are able to ship the last of the finished tops which have been sent mostly from members of this board.

Tops come here to Bedford, VA, where we find willing finishers, then wash, pack, and ship them out from here. When we receive a finished quilt it's joyful for us because that's one less to wait to be shipped!

There are several people who are also doing the same kind of work, perhaps on a smaller scale, all across the country. If we have extra quilts beyond our required 128, I am hopiing and planning on continuing the effort with those other projects or with soldiers from other batteries in Afghanistan. I am also working with the local National Guard group which returned from Iraq this past August. You might look into that locally as a source for your own quilts. Or check with your local American Legion, quilting guild, or quilt shops.

Thanks for asking these questions. Just because Bravo Battery is nearly covered doesn't mean we can rest on our quilty laurels, does it? :D

Jan in VA