Bring back the joy

Old 12-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have had real mixed feelings this year...normally Thanksgiving weekend the holiday music goes on and the decorating gets in gear...i usually do it up! have quite a village from you know 30+ years of collecting pieces...
about 4 years ago hubby & i moved to a new house...about 40 miles from any nearest relatives ... not far- just far enough
i still decorated like always, last year i did it all alone, spent an 8 hour day putting up the village, everything, ahhhhhh it was beautiful! and not a single person the whole month stopped by and saw it, and i had (mixed feelings) about that....so what i enjoyed it.... maybe this year we will have the grandgirls up sometime during the month?...... maybe i aught to just 'not-bother' and save electricity?..........maybe i should just get decorating...and it will pull me out of this slump?.......hubby is even willing to participate this year....... part is the empty-nester thing i'm sure, since my (baby) joined the navy this past year and is clear across the country, other son in Florida...daughter is here...40 miles away...those girls lead the busiest lives....it is hard to (catch-them)
anyhow....
Mine are scattered. I have one in town(two grandkids), one 40 miles away(1 grandson), one is Northeastern KY, and one in Italy in the Navy. I have not had them all together for Christmas in 5 years.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
Originally Posted by pojo
It is not the same when your children leave.

Even when you have grand children too.

You don't here those little pitter patter noises like when they were at home. I surely miss it.

They come to visit and then they are gone.

I get very sad at the holidays. I surely miss my children.
I so know how you feel. The holidays have felt a little sad for me the past couple years. My two daughters are grown and my college age son really does not seem to value family much anymore. We used to make a big deal of everything and spend a day cutting a tree, lunching, decorating, etc. Now, it kind of seem pointless. I want it back!!!
Me too. My mama always made it fun at Christmas. I lost her Dec. 14, 2006.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
We're about 5/7 hours drive away from any relative. It's hard mentally. My husband's family never celebrated any holiday, which is very sad. He never was raised with family memories.
My husband told me last year that when he was growing up they never had a tree or got gifts. He will be 59 on wednesday. I am having him a birthday party tomorrow since he works third shift and the others work 2nd and go toschool of the day.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM

I had my GS Thanksgiving morning, as his mom had to work that day. I let him help decorate the tree. He put all the ornaments he put o, on two branches at the bottom. They are still that way and will be until I take the tree down. He only 2 1/2 so next year we'll do the cookie decorating and gingerbread house. I always did those things with my boys. They're only little once.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 PM

I spent the last couple of years sitting and feeling sorry for myself. Kids only come over for the day and you don't see them the rest of the season. This year I have invitied friends over for almost every day from the 19th to the 31st. Some coming for dinner, some drinks and snacks, some just to play cards. There are lots of people out there who are just as alone as the rest of us. You just have to find them. It is hard trying to adjust our lives when our kids are grown...how did our parents do it? Oh yeah,,,,we included them in everything we did, so they didn't have to feel lonely!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 AM

I feel so blessed to have family near me. After our youngest graduated from high school we moved back near both sides of our family. My oldest and her family had moved here several years before. I would love to come and visit you all for the Christmas season. If you could post pictures here of all your lovely decorations you would be sharing them with all of your quilting board friends.:)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Holidays can just be downright hard. We've never had children, so I've always decorated just for us and my parents/brothers and friends to stop by. Since my Mom passed away, its been hard to decorate and enjoy everything..but my DH loves it and won't allow me not to do it. Its his fav part of the holiday..so I work for several days putting it all up. I enjoy it too once its done..but I just need to invite some people over so we can really get in the spirit!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Someone mentioned parents having their parents over for Christmas - that was so very, very true "back then". Families always got together then for all holidays. Most all the relatives lived close enough to get there and weren't scattered all over the USA like my brothers and sisters are now: Texas, California, Colorado, Indiana, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, N. Carolina, Mississippi, Ohio - all over, and that is so sad that we have come to that.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Okay, you ladies are bringing me down! I decorate for me. I love unpacking everything and setting things up. I even decorate my bathroom with lights and things. Then I invite my neighbors over to share. I challenge you all to decorate, put on the Christmas music, then take pictures and share with us! I have issues with my back, so In pace myself but I wouldn't change it for anything! Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Oh I am Maggie! I've spent the last 2 days decorating and sewing gifts for friends during my "breaks". DH is enjoying it..tomorrow I'll tackle getting the tree done.