Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
gravy survey >

gravy survey

gravy survey

Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 AM

I'm from New England. When making gravy I heat and scrape the pan with drippings adding just enough water to loosen bits. I then put in large pyrex measuring quart and put in ice cubes. (Sometimes putting quart in freezer for a bit) The grease turn solid so you can just scrape out with spoon. For a rich gravy, I use 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon flour for every 1/2 cup to 1 cup drippings and make a paste in a regular sauce pan. When flour absorbed in butter and cooked a bit - slowly add your drippings (add chicken broth from a can for more liquid) Cook over low heat till thicken. I always use "Gravy Master" - a few drops for color and richer taste. Gravy Master is a seasoning and browning sauce found in the gravy section in grocery store. Try it.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 AM

I make my gravy with cornstarch. Also use this method to thicken stews and soups. Dissolve cornstarch in a little cold liquid then add to (defatted) drippings and broth. I vary the amount of cornstarch according to how thick I want the finished product. 1 T. per cup of finished liquid is thin, 2 T. makes medium and 3 T. makes thick. I never get lumps like I do when I try use flour...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm from AL and I make dressing gravy thin, but if I make milk gravy I make it thicker. We also like Chocolate gravy with our biscuits so the consistency is kinda between the two.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM

My gravy is thick like a sauce and always homemade - no cans. Runny gravy to me is au jus. (just my opinion). I also use flour - to me cornstarch is like making a sauce for chinese food. Everyone has their own way to do things - no right way or wrong way :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm from the south and I have no idea what runny gravy is. Probably thought they were making Au jus.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm from PA & I make it medium/thick. I usually add extra water to roasting pan so I end up with more broth than drippings to make gravy. I use flour & water to thicken. Put flour & water in a Tupperware shaker & mix it up. If broth is greasy I skim the grease off first. Bring broth to rolling boil, turn heat off, add the flour mixture while stirring with a slotted spoon. I never have lumps. Gravy can be frozen in ziploc bags for later use.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM

I like mine thick!!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

I live in Texas and have always made it thick. My grandmother was from Georgia and she started most of the family customs. A lot of my friends don't want gravy at all.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 PM

If you will put your flour or cornstarch or what ever you are using in coldwater and mix it first then the gravy want be lumpy. It lumps when it hits the hot grease.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM

My family history is from the South too. I do what my Mom and Grandmother did up to a point. One thing I have learned is that gravy will be much more flavorful if no water is added in the final preparation. Different meats drippings get different treatment. For turkey gravy I drain the liquid after baking it and put in a fat separator. One thing I do that might be different is I brown my flour till it is a light tan color in a dry skillet over med high heat, constantly scraping or stirring it off the bottom to keep it from burning. Once it is the right color I take it off, cool it then sift and store it for future use. So when I make turkey gravy I use part browned flour and part cornstarch mixed with enough turkey liquid to make it runny then back into the pan with the rest of the liquid. And I do use a whisk. I would be lost without the whisk.
Heat it till thickened and boils. I use just the browned flour for beef gravy. If the liquid needs salt I use a small amount of chicken base or beef base so the flavor is intensified. I always save the liquid from crockpot beef and chicken and it makes wonderful flavored liquid to use for such purposes. Good Gravy !!