Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Simple and quick tote >

Simple and quick tote

Simple and quick tote

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Ok didn't expect the applause that I've gotten on this one, tell you what I'll do girls. I have to make more this week, so as I'm making I will take better measurements and pics to post a tute. The handle I have no idea how long I made them I just cut the width of the fabric, made handles by throwing them over my sholder to measure how long to cut them, as long as the tote nested in my armpit. That was the request of the reciepent. On a piece of paper I had scribbled these measurements and this is all I have at this time. Sides 9x21 bottom 12x21, and the rest I flew by the seat of my pants.
I make my totes a little taller in length. I cut my original piece 17"x37" and I also box the bottom like it looks like you did also. I fold down the top and lining about 2-3 inches and I insert the handles in between. I cut my handles 6"x28" and I insert them 2-3" into the bag (depending on how long you want the handles to be). I also add a button tab in the back center that is cut 2"x12". I just make that like I do the handles. I also insert that down at least an inch or more between the bag and lining and then I sew the layers together around top (close to the top edge) and then I sew another row around about 3/8" down form the first stitched row. This just helps reinforce the handles. Then I sew the button on the front so the button tab (or loop) can be put around the button to close it. I also use pellon just ironed to the outside main fabric and then I cut strips of old jeans --1"x28" and insert them into the handles for reinforcement. It's cheaper than buying the pellon. I just got finished tonight with the completion of 18 of these totes that I am using for my employee Xmas party --On Tuesday night. I really procrastinated on this project and am glad I have them done!!! Please--don't anyone ask for a picture--I don't know how to do that. I hope these measurements and tips help anyone who wants to make one. I also just made up my own pattern for this.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
Beautiful- are directions available or name of site. Thank You
And if it is a free pattern, can you do a tutorial? I am so intimidated by totes, but I want to make one soooooooo bad!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Love the bags. Can't wait for your tutorial! Nice work.
GrannieSan
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM

i want one too...need to make a few..on my todo list.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Great size, great fabrics, great pattern. My address is----------------------
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM

love how you did the bottom in the contrasting color. Wonderful colors!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM

If you want pockets inside pockets in this tote like is in the bow tucks just measure 2 3/4 from the bottom of your bag lining(before sewn in half) draw a line, fold a piece of fabric 17x10 in half making it 17x5, line up the raw edge to the line, sew horizontally at the raw edge of pocket fabric and then vertically to create pockets. Finish sewing as instructed in my tute.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Cornhole is a game, "bean bags" but filled with corn. You try to get your bag in the hole in a board. I embroider the bags with what ever they want on them, wheather it be names, nfl teams, you name it, if i can digitize it, I can put it on a bag. Some are plain no embroidery. Simple to make. Great profit. $30 a of 8.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 AM

Love your tote! Very pretty!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
I am so glad someone else asked that question, because I was just thinking that same thing.
I was going to ask that too!!!