Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 AM

it sounds very high to me for yearly servicing. I only pay $70 for my computerized machines
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM

I also have a 'Quilt Designer' and your service fee was right in the ball park. At least that is what i have been paying just to get service, cleaning just like maintaining your car. These computerized machines are great, but need someone who knows what they are doing to work on them. It goes with the times we live in.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 AM

Just had the same problem with getting my machine worked on. I took it in May for its annual cleaning and that cost me 185.00, then 92 days later it stopped sewing, took it back they said the timing was out 90.00 then 2 weeks later it was squealing and it sounded like it wanted to seize up...they had it for 3 weeks and said they couldn't find out why, so they oiled and checked the belts another 26.00 bench charge. You are right, they have you coming and going. Thinking about learning how to repair machines myself!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I hope you people realize that we are talking about a very sophisticated "computer" here. It is not just a sewing machine. I have old machines too and they are great for some things, like quilting and other straight line stitching. But we who want to embroider and design like our computerized machines too. My Diamond is a $9000 machine and if it costs me $100-$200 a year to keep it serviced I will do that. I sure don't complain when I take my Toyota truck in for it's maintainence and inspection every year. And I keep it lubed. I plan to have it for a long time; it is my investment. And when something goes wrong in my house I get the necessary serviceman in to do it right. While I may not like his charge, the work needs to be done so I pay what it takes.
Exactly right.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Ok, I have a Husqvarna Quilt Desinger I. It wasn't working quite right last week, so I took it to a sewing machine dealer/fabric store.

They did have to replace a few parts, that was $73. Ok, I didn't know I had a problem with those parts, but hey, they are liscensed to work on these machines.

I got the bill yesterday when I picked up my machine, and it was $200 just to "service" it! That means the yearly cleaning! The receipt said clean and labor, oiling internal parts and checking the belts.

I think that is way too much! It took them less than a day to have it ready for me to pick up. If I would have known it was going to cost $200 for the servicing, I would have never taken it to be fixed.

I am over reacting or does this seem kind of a high price to you? Thanks for any replies. I just needed to vent.
My husband thinks one should ALWAYS know ahead of time what the price will be "out the door". I'm assuming they called to tell you what parts needed to be replace and you approved that. Understandable.. I DO think it is a high price for "cleaning, oiling and checking belts". I would definitely speak to the manager or tech who did the work and let them know, nicely, that you think this was unreasonable and can they explain it to you so you can feel better about this expenditure. Otherwise, you will have a bad taste in your mouth about this shop. Small businesses should know this and take care of customers. Sorry this happened to you. I've had similar experiences and wish I had taken my own advice.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Around here the "bench price" just to take it in is $75! Then parts and labor is over and above that - It costed me $109 before they were done - needed a new bobbin carriage too - and I knew that going in - but wow!

But when you look at anything anymore -it it realistic? No! I think our world has gone crazy, greedy and in many cases dishonesty occurs as well.

like another person made the comment on the plumber; I own a home in Minnesota, - could not get to it to winterize it so asked the plumber if he'd go over and replace the battery in the thermostat, and put anitfreeze in the stools and drains, and he did to the tune of $125! I know if I'd have paid for the supplies myself, it would not have come to $10! So, although I was thankful he could do this for me, yes, the prices are outrageous, and it was not as though he had never done work for me before - he is my plumber, not a number out of the phone book~

So, gals, I do believe we are in a fix when it comes to needing anything done anymore; we are not all lucky enough to have our own handy man right in our own surrounds! Although my dh does work on easy thread locks and "defuzzing" the machine occasionally, but he can't do all.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Ouch!!!

Seems high to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Ok, I just have to chime in here. I was a hairdresser for 33 years and now I am working with my husband in his snowmobile repair business. Having told you that - I now have to stand up for small business owners. Like someone else said, you are paying for what they know.
Do you have the time and know how to fix your machine?
Do you have the parts in stock?
Do you have to pay the insurance on the building and liabiliy insurance in case someone should slip and fall(God forbid)?
When you take a machine in for repair, any kind of machine, yes, they give you a rough estimate, but if it is within a resonable amount over, they fix it. Do you know how long it takes to try and get hold of someone to get the OK to go ahead and fix something? Many times, it could be fixed and ready to go while waiting on a return call from the owner. Then they say, go ahead and fix it...A major waste of time. What I have learned to do is to ask what the top dollar for repairs is that they are willing to pay. Many times it is way under that, sometimes a little over.
I guess I should stop now, I feel like I'm on a soap box and should get off.
But, just remember that us small business owners don't get the big breaks that big corps do. We don't get the big discounts when ordering parts because we can only order what we think we will need.
Sorry if I am going on and on about this, but we all need to be informed shoppers. I don't mean to upset anyone and I hoped I didn't.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM

I also have a viking designer and had it "serviced" to the tune of $206. I'm ok with it though because I knew it was $90 for the servicing and additional for parts. It had been five years since it had been serviced and I did need a couple things fixed. It now hums like a baby again so it was worth it to me if I only have to do this every so many years.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM

In De, that seems pretty reasonable.