Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Vintagemotif, what you working on in the avatar? The colors are gorgeous.
Thank you, it is a table topper.
I'm using up my scraps, the leftovers of the leftover Christmas fabrics. I made different columns using strips of scraps and then cut triangles from the columns. Sewed the triangles together to from a star. I'm making it up as I go along.
Now is that ever pretty or what?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by J Carol
I sure would enjoy a place just for vintage machines. Since my husband has come home from the very long stay in the hospital I have purchased 3 of them! The first one arrived in five piecers due to being dropped in shipping. It was a beautiful old hand crank "Harris" but the crank end of the machine is what was broken in pieces. Then I got a Singer with the Sphinx on it but it is not so clean and doesn't work as the electrical is in rally bad condition. Then I purchased a White and it also really needs a good cleaning but the wireing is in horrible condition. Now my question is if I will ever be able to sew on these as I am really leary of the wiring or is there a way to re-wire them? Also Billy do you have a web site?
They all can be fixed I am sure, I bet it would not take much. It is not hard to rewire them and they should all be put back in service with a little effort. If you want I could do it for you if your leery of working on them.

And I have not set up a web site yet and probably will never set one up. Although my wife wants me to do it, I come from the school of your actions speak loader than words. Thats why I never advertise and let word of mouth bring in my business.

Billy

Billy
I see that you work on electical stuff. I have several old machines, that need work done. My hubby can do the work if I can get the parts for them.
I am waiting till after Christmas to get them out but I am getting very anxious after reading this thread. (I've only gotten through about 15 pages or so.) I have a lot of catching up to do.
Darlene
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by darlin121
Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find Liquid Gold in the pour bottle? I've checked Wal-Mart, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie, Publix and Fresh Market. They all have it in the areosol can but not in the pour bottle. Anywhere else I can look?
If you haven't found it yet, I have gotten it at Ace Hardware.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Now, for the cabinet.....it measures 17 7\8"x31" with an opening that measures 16 5\8"x11 1\2".....the opening cover lifts toward the user and then folds into thirds which then fold into the machine...I have never seen one like this before...but for $2.50 I didn't think I could go wrong......inside the folding part of the top is 308D---I don't know if this means anything or not. I will have to see if any of my machines will fit into this....

Here are the photos:
Darcene, I have a cabinet like that. I don't remember which machine it came with. I will check when i get home.

:)
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Oh here is picture of 'Betty.'

Oh and Quiltaddict, I haven't decided if I am going to keep this machine or not, but if I decide to let her go, you can have her for the $25 I paid plus the needles if you still want her.

Nancy
You and DH did a wonderful job on cleaning her up. Do you have the before pictures so we can really appreciate what can be done?

Let me know when you are tired of her..... :)
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

You and DH did a wonderful job on cleaning her up. Do you have the before pictures so we can really appreciate what can be done?

Let me know when you are tired of her..... :)
Oh I will let you know if I get tired of Betty.

The problem is, I get attached to these old girls! DH had to do some welding on the treadle and remake the knee guard -- he enjoys that stuff -- the sand blasting and painting -- not so much. Anyway, the one that was really a mess was the 1901 I posted on page 357. We worked on that cabinet and machine for a month. Got her to a decent shape, got her sewing perfectly, replaced the check spring and spool pin missing (from Billy), replaced two broken drawers with ones off E-Bay in better shape, then I 'gave' her to my friend for the $10 I originally paid! That was a fun project for both of us! That machine was the most work of any one I have adopted -- I got attached to that old gal.

Anyway, Quiltaddict, I will let you know if I don't keep her. Right now she is living in the garage. I don't have room in my house for another treadle. If I decide to keep her, I will have to give up one of the other's!

Nancy
Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I would love to see those quilts. If you don't wish to post on this thread, then use picutres thread, and I will look for them there.
Sure I will post some pictures here!

Nancy
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm enjoying them, but I'm now having a hard time deciding who is going to get what quilt. Yes, I will be keeping one. I may have my husband pick that one.
I vote for the last one!

Nancy
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM

I'm enjoying them, but I'm now having a hard time deciding who is going to get what quilt. Yes, I will be keeping one. I may have my husband pick that one.
I vote for the last one!

Nancy
I'm thinking of keeping that one, the star, since it has fabrics from all the Christmas runners/toppers that I have made.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

I vote for the last one!

Nancy
I'm thinking of keeping that one, the star, since it has fabrics from all the Christmas runners/toppers that I have made.
Vintage, that does sound like a keeper