Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM

You gotta roll with the punches and laugh. Everyone will come around. I was at one class and the guest speaker said, good morning ladies and I stood up and answered in my highest voice, "Good Morning". At one meeting I changed my name-tag from Dave to Davina! And just one other time, a snowstorm we probably should not have gone to a class in, we arrived at the meeting place, went inside, a lady comes up to me and says,"Thank goodness your here, follow me,". As we entered the bathroom she said there it is and it doesn't work, I looked back around the room at the anxious faces and decided what the heck and looked at the toilet. Just a stuck flapper valve-- no problem. As I said all was o.k. and the line was forming. The lady says they told me you couldn't make it, I said "I'm not a plumber-I'm here for the class---Good Laugh . Didn't get any discount though, she did buy lunch-LOL---Dave B. Take Care and just Do-It!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Just keep hanging in there and make your presence known. People will come around or they won't and it will definitely be their loss.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

so sorry. i've never seen a male quilter turned away just because he was a man!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:49 PM

If you would like some inspiration, look up David Taylor on the internet. His website is www.davidtaylorquilts.com. He spoke at our guild meeting in November and is such an interesting man. He is funny and his work is amazing. Maybe you can then casually drop his name at your LQS. Sounds like they need to broaden their horizons a bit! :)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dave-Jane
You gotta roll with the punches and laugh. Everyone will come around. I was at one class and the guest speaker said, good morning ladies and I stood up and answered in my highest voice, "Good Morning". At one meeting I changed my name-tag from Dave to Davina! And just one other time, a snowstorm we probably should not have gone to a class in, we arrived at the meeting place, went inside, a lady comes up to me and says,"Thank goodness your here, follow me,". As we entered the bathroom she said there it is and it doesn't work, I looked back around the room at the anxious faces and decided what the heck and looked at the toilet. Just a stuck flapper valve-- no problem. As I said all was o.k. and the line was forming. The lady says they told me you couldn't make it, I said "I'm not a plumber-I'm here for the class---Good Laugh . Didn't get any discount though, she did buy lunch-LOL---Dave B. Take Care and just Do-It!
Well you did that in good sport but that is pretty sad too.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Maybe you could take some of your quilts with you into that shop and ask for some feed-back - that you want to improve your quilting and thought maybe you could take a class there that would help. Perhaps then they would take you seriously. Sad that it would come to that!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Chris, I live in S.W. Indiana and we have a nice LQS in Evansville that I know would be more than happy to have you as a customer. Check out their website at www.quiltersnest.net. Holly and Mary are wonderful. Their shop offers lots of classes too! Good to have a few more men appreciating and participating in the art of quilting.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Hi Chris, If you have any questions about quilting just ask on here and I know I will be glad to help you if I can and if I can't then there are a ton of others that will. My hubby is just now starting to quilt with me, he is to the point now that he can't do anything else, he has a lung problem and there isn't anything that the doctors can do to help him, so I ask him why didn't he start sewing with me that he could sit down and stop when he needed to. So now that gives him something to do. I know our quilt store here welcomes men, but don't have many at all around here, most of them are cowboys that ride bulls and cutting horses so they don't sew as you can image, but I think its wonderful that you want to quilt so don't give up, hang in there and I know you will find the answers to your questions here. Have a great evening.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Chris: I too am a male quilter. Just started quilting this year and am making a baby quilt for our newest GD. I've never taken any classes so haven't run into any problems there. When I went to Joann's to get the fabric for the quilt, I was welcomed by the top quilter that worked at the store and she helped me pick out the fabric personally. She never even hinted to the fact that there could be anything wrong with the fact that I was a male. Just remember one thing if nothing else, if there is anything that you want to know about quilting, the wonderful people on this board will help you out, male or female.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM

i don't get what their problem is. our local quilt guild has male members and no one cares what's between their legs. i know how you feel though. when i first got interested in quilting i was 18, and a new mom. i was looking for something to do that didn't involve being around other people my age because they were all into partying. well i went to a meeting and i was told i had to be at least 35 to join! i couldn't beleive it. i totally gave up on sewing at that point and only recently picked it up again a few months ago. don't let them get to you, there have got to be other groups that will let you in. maybe be sneaky and get your wife to sign you up for the classes and pay the fee, using only your first innitial.