Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing? >

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM

:-P I adore your art fabric dolls, they are cute as can be. What creative talent you have. I have never made socks but would like to. Right now I have finished cute quilt for 4 yr old granddaughter and tied 4 square patches out of flannel doll blanket. These are going to southern CA with me for one week. When I come back home I will start Hubby's wildlife quilt. I am excited to start working on it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM

I love to knit socks.. I've made dozens of pairs.. They are wonderful to wear and are fun to make.. I use a simple formula for making anyone a perfect pair of socks, so I don't use a pattern.... There is a great website you may enjoy. it's http://www.socknitters.com

Other than knitting I also do chip carving, basket making, pine needle baskets, tating, embroidery, needle point.. I love any hand craft there is to do.. Just the last few weeks I've been making braided wool rugs.. wow, I love them!!

I wander from one thing to another, I love them all. Quilting has been my favorite pastime for a lot of years, but I usually have a couple of other things going on as well.. Busy hands keep me happy.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 PM

I do cake decorating, rubber stamp art,dry embossing and quilling (done with thin strips of paper).
Can not knit or crochet however one day I will give it a try (again) maybe with better results this time.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM

Gardening, virtual touring the world, reading about vintage machines, and reading.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Other than knitting I also do chip carving, basket making, pine needle baskets, tating, embroidery, needle point.. I love any hand craft there is to do.. Just the last few weeks I've been making braided wool rugs.. wow, I love them!!
I'm not sure what chip carving or pine needle baskets look like. I'll have to google them but they sound interesting. Someday I want to try making braided rugs too. I love the early American look of them.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM

drgranny your fabric dolls are terrific!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 AM

Thank you for loving my dolls! They are fun to make and they each know just exactly what they want. If you give them something they don't want they stamp their feet and fuss and tell you again just what they want. They are a lot of fun!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
Thank you for loving my dolls! They are fun to make and they each know just exactly what they want. If you give them something they don't want they stamp their feet and fuss and tell you again just what they want. They are a lot of fun!
In the 70's one of my SILs used to make apple faces.
She'd peel and pinch (I think) the apple flesh then let it dry. It was fascinating to see it shrink and actually start to look like a face. Funny they looked a lot like she and I do now :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM

I have made apple dolls too. Each one is unique and cannot be replicated. I quit making them cause I couldn't figgure out how to preserve them. The ones I made finally after about 10 yrs turned black and dried up more.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM

DrGranny, I love your mermaid doll. You are very creative. Their faces are awesome. What talent!