Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM

I love making homemade gifts. Shoot, I just love having material in my hands.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I am not worried about whether I can save money making quilts, no way would I buy a store bought one.
Making quilts gives me something to do, I figure it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars, hehe.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM

I like to know that I am giving a one of a kind. I never make a quilt twice. It may be similar, but never a duplicate.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

My biggest reason for whatever my current crafting passion is, and it has varied from the 1960s to present day, is that it may be just as expensive as medication (depression, muscle relaxants, etc) but a lot more fun and fulfilling. Fabric in its various forms has a very calming effect for me plus I have never had anyone gush such love over a one of a million store bought gifts as they do over one of a kind handmade item. Unless I am incapacitated I will continue and tailor my projects to my situations.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM

As my DDIL said when I sent my DGD's their quilts. "These are the best kind of gift's. The ones made with love".
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM

I think handmade is better for those that will appreciate it. Next Christmas my sister will be getting a quilt as I did not get moving fast enough this year. But my brother and his girlfriend on the other hand will get something bought because I know they would not apprecitate it.
Cindy
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Just tonite I witness my friend making Christmas gifts and how much she was enjoying it. Her entire family has their order in for hopes of getting one of her handmade items! One can't buy that kind of excitement and love! I will remember that next time I am in the store!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I agree with you all. Handmade, and homeade is always better. They have nice things in the stores, but then the same exact thing goes into thousands of homes. When you make something, nobody else in the world will have the exact same item. Just tonight, my brother called from Texas and said that his daughter is going crazy because she is not allowed to open her present from me til Christmas. I made her a bag in her favorite color purple. She told him "I hope Aunt Trisha made me something, because I love her stuff". That makes it all worthwhile.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 AM

I always thought my gifts at Christmas was not what I thought "good enough" for I love to sew and make things for my sisters, I have three. Christmas came and went last year and I had made them and also my sister in law's, four of them their gifts. As I would see each and every one of them wear the gift I'd made them and hear others comment how much they liked what they had, then I also knew that my gifts were "good enough". Now I hear, "I hope she makes us something again this year". So for Christmas and birthdays I try to make each one something special, no matter how large or small. I truly love to sew and quilt and to give them to others.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
You are only wasting your time if there is no enjoyment in what you are creating. You can buy anything in a store. But the caring and passion cannot be purchased. If your motives are True then you create MasterPieces!! That cannot be bought anywhere!!!

AMEN & AMEN ........ I always have some project in my hands, I "never" sit idle. I would rather receive a handmade gift than a 500.00 store bought gift!