Arthritic hands

Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM

I was introduced to a product called "Power Balance Band". One of the ladies at Share a Craft had one and said that it relieved her pain and stiffness, so thought I would give it a try. Well, the day after putting it on, I woke up without back pain or stiffness in my hands. If I have a big day cutting out I do notice some pain, but the next day I'm as right as rain. Other things I have noticed since wearing this band is that I am more motivated, and if I do have to take pain medication for any reason the relief seems to be longer lasting. I take it off each morning to have a shower (though a lot of people don't) and if I forget to put it back on about 8 hours later I start to feel lythar.. litha.. slow. Also find I don't need as much sleep. My son has one, from a toddler he has always run everywhere, doesn't know what slow is, at 24 years of age he has found that it was improved his stamina. A lot of top athletes here in Australia are wearing them, and apparently some of the MotoGP Bike riders also wear them. I bought mine from a Motorcycle Sales place paid $A65, and I think it has been well worth the price, but my son bought his on line (eBay) and paid around $A15 including postage. There are some people I know who have tried them and have had no benefits from it at all, so I suppose it doesn't work for everyone, I myself had no benefit from magnets but my husband and my father both swore my them. They come in different sizes and colours, so measure your wrist before ordering. The band has two holograms on it which are supposed to be infused with frequencies found in nature.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Love your avatar. Is that a painting or a quilt?? :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM

I also am alergic to NSAIDS. I can tolerate Naproxen at a 1/2 doze for short periods. Once the tinitus gets too unbearable I have to stop. For me, it is worth the temporary relief it gives me for a few days. Unscented Aspercreme rub helps some. And as some others have said...heat!!! A hot wax bath which is heavenly!! Works for feet too. ;) Another excellent herbal help is GLS...Glucosamine Sulphate. It can take a few weeks for you to notice that it is working, so don't give up on it too soon.

Last January I had the basal thumb joint replaced on my right hand. What a relief...no more pain. AT ALL!!! Left hand is getting close to needing to be done. Next February I get my left hip replaced. Obviously these are last ditch measures after there is no cartiledge left at all, so whatever you can do to prolong this route...go for it!!!

Big thing to remember....don't over do. Do things in small doses so you aren't "paying" for it for the next several days.

Warm, gentle hugs.

Patti
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM

i know there is an all natural rub made by badger called sore joint rub, I love it - and it smells nice too!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Our family has been blessed with having been spared cancers, alzheimers, etc., but we've made up for it with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis big time, both parents, grandparents, and all siblings. I have lots of experience with this, especially my own.

Came out of a $60,000 spinal fusion just a couple years ago - lots of hardware, and, yes, my hands trouble me quite a lot if I don't stay after it.

Best advice: Stay moving and apply moist-type heat - and that takes me to the HOT WAX BATH, my swear-by remedy which requires no internal med's nor creams.

You will find the Dr. Scholl's device (which looks similar to an oval-shaped crock pot) at most Wal-Marts or other pharmacies. Runs $30 to $40 and comes with an initial supply of wax to which I add an extra cake or so to make sure it goes well onto my wrists as well. Replacement wax runs $6-7 and if you keep it covered when not in use, you should only need to replace the wax bath once or twice a year.

There are oils in the wax and a very light, pleasant fragrance. You get the wax heated as warm as you can tolerate it (an adjustable dial - takes hours the first time to get all the wax cakes liquified). Then, slowly dip your hand in the warmed wax, holding in there for 20-30 seconds and lift out, holding over the wax. When the shinyness disappears from the drips on your fingers (about 10 seconds), resubmerge your hand - repeat the process 4-5 times, then immediately place your hand into the plastic bags they provide and cover with the "mitten" (also provided). Leave on 15-20 minutes or more. Peel off the now cooled wax and set into the inverted cover while you "treat" the other hand in the remaining hot wax. When you've got the other hand wrapped, replace the peeled-off wax into the bath and turn off the unit. Add back the wax from your second hand too.

This also conditions your skin just beautifully, especially around the nails where in cold weather, some of us have a tendency to develop dryness and painful cracks.

You'll love it.

And, yes, you can use it for arthritic feet and ankles too (Dr. Scholls).
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by lorniki
Thanks, but can't take NSAIDS. Also have fibromyalgia and am on Lyrica just increased my dosage!
For those of us who can't take NSAIDS, Tylenol has a long acting one out now called Tylenol Arthritis (in Canada anyway)
They are caplets that have a yellow side and a white side and they last 8 hours instead of the 4 for regular tylenol.
The dose is 2 tabs every 8 hours. It gives you 650 mg just like 2 regular tylenol, but it lasts longer.
I also find if I wash my dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher, the regular warm water therapy really helps.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Well I just did some more research. It's called Dr. Scholl's Thermal Therapy Paraffin Bath. I also discover that WalMart doesn't show it on their site, but a number of other places do.

Shipping will get you though (it's a bit heavy), so check at your area pharmacies. Also, I discover that the wax is now more like $9.

Still worth every penny.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Great question, I will be watching. Have sore and stiff fingers but this weekend is the first time it REALLY HURTS and I bought CVS brand Arthritis Cream, scent free. It helps a little for little while.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 PM

I use a warm wax dip, the container is like a crock pot that warms the wax just eough to be liquid but it doesnt burn when it cools it breaks off. has same basic effect as epsom salt soaks. I also use a patch name is Salonpas ,they are like any other rub just on a piece of tape and they are a life saver put one on and put on gloves to keep hands warm and it lasts about 6 to 8 hours, only problem if they get wet they will come off. they come in a small green box with 40 patches for around $5 have been using them for years. they work on all kinds of aches and pains. Many broken bones from vehicle accident, FM, RA, and osteo you name it hey all seem to enjoy visiting at my house quilting helps to keep my mind off what aches .
Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
Well I just did some more research. It's called Dr. Scholl's Thermal Therapy Paraffin Bath. I also discover that WalMart doesn't show it on their site, but a number of other places do.

Shipping will get you though (it's a bit heavy), so check at your area pharmacies. Also, I discover that the wax is now more like $9.

Still worth every penny.
I just use regular sealing wax...available in the canning section of the grocery stores, or Walmart. No scent, less $$$.

Patti