Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 AM

I find this very strange. I wonder what would happen if Ricky Tims would walk into their shop and offer to teach them something new?:) When I attended the local guild there was more than once that the main speaker was a man. I believe there is a rather well-known male quilter from Indiana, so I don't what the problem is in your area.
But as you can see, there are a lot of wonderfully helpful people here.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM

Awhile back when I was looking to buy a mid-arm machine and frame, DH stopped by one of the sewing machine stores on his way home from work. The woman at the store would barely give him the time of day. She curtly handed him some brochures, and that was that.

Little did she know that he had cash money in his pocket.

We bought one elsewhere (got a better deal, too). Her loss! :mrgreen:

Luckily just that one store was rude. The other stores he went to were very nice and helpful. :)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM

You just go to the wrong quilt shop come to mine they will greet you with open arms and all kinds of classes to join and you would be welcome even by the women quilters. The ladies at Pins and Needles don't care if your male or female they will teach you everything they know and that is a lot.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 AM

Chris,

Welcome from Kentucky. One of my favorite fabric shops here closed in June. It was owned by a man and wife. She has cancer and he wanted to retire so they could do some traveling.

Actually, I preferred shopping when he was working. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and ready to assist.

Check with your local Extension Office. There may be a quilt guild you can attend. You may have to join Homemakers, but here in Kentucky we welcome male members.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 AM

Chris - I joined a quilting "drop in" group at our local senior center. It is all women but there are several who teach quilting and are willing to give private lessons. Perhaps there is a group in your area. If they shun you at the group, send your wife in to ask for a tutor. She could explain that it is for a male friend who needs more advanced techniques. They may not respond immediately but if she leaves a number to call someone might do it "on the sly" so to speak. Good luck and if you lived closer to Detroit MI I'd be more than happy to assist in your learning.
Barbara in MI
Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Shame on them - my second oldest son is one of the most beautiful cross stictchers I have ever seen. He does take some hassle over it but now he's getting lots of respect.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 AM

Well geeze now this must be how women were treated and felt when they began to break into the "male dominated" professions.
Guess we are so territorial we don't make things easy on people who don't fit into the roles society has delegated to them. Good luck. Think Ricky Tims when you are having those bad days.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
Unfortunately, if you went into a "chain" fabric store (won't mention any names) they just don't have the time or the people with the skills to help you out. Obviously they didn't take you seriously. I used to work in our local Joann's and had a man come in that wanted to make his own window treatments. The manager sent him to me as that was and still is where my expertise was. He was so thrilled that I didn't treat him like a bloomin' idiot (his term). Some stores have lessons but won't be able to do a one on one. I went into a new for me, LQS to find out if I could get someone to sit down with me to show me a good method of needle turn, as I have arthritis in my wrist and fingers and just can't manipulate the needle. She said they don't give classes on that. I tried to explain that I would pay someone to help me; no luck. So it is just not men. Good luck with your endeavor :lol:
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 AM

I am sorry you are having trouble. I hope you can find another quilt shop fairly close to you that is more friendly. There really is no excuse for it. If it were your first time to show up in the store, that might be one thing. But, shop owners usually make it a point to know their local customers and do everything to accomodate their needs. I can't imagine my LQS or any of the local guilds down here turning you down. In fact, we do have at least one male quilter that comes to our Saturday Sampler with his wife and he buys his fabric and she buys hers when we have sales.

I can't imagine this shop you go to will stay in business very long with that attitude.

Since you can't get help, maybe you need to just learn to be creative, learn new techniques and become famous!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned

I wonder if the shop in question has seen the new book
"Men and the Art of Quiltmaking" by Joe Cunningham