Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't wear a thimble! >

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 AM

I use the metal one with the rim around it. If you just make yourself do it, you'll soon get used to it. If it wants to slip off your finger, simply wet your finger and put it back on. This creates a vacume that will keep it on your finger. If you are right handed, put it on your third finger. You can do it.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I buy heavy gloves (the kind you buy to wash dishes) and cut the fingers off one by one to use. Protects my fingers just fine.
I do the same thing. I cut the fingers off and have different sizes. I also put a bandage or a small piece of cloth inside or a small piece of cotton. This also enables you to pull the needle out easier when sewing thick material. In reality I wish I could use a thimble, like the suggestion of wearing one all day to get used to it. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 AM

I have many thimbles and have had the same problems that the rest of you have had. Found a new thimble by Clover - tip is metal and sides are that silicone or rubbery stuff. It doesn't fall off. $8.95 My only problem is that I tend to use the side of my finger for lots of stitches as well as the tip and occasionally it will go through the rubber and prick a bit.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:22 AM

I use the little leather dots that stick to your finger. They are reusable and have been a blessing for my hand quilting. I never could get the nack or comfortable with a regular thimble.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 AM

I have trouble with thimbles as well. I use a small piece of plastic cut from the top of a Christmas card box, and cut small strips of tape from the first aid box, criss-crossing them across my finger. I was sewing the binding on a very large quilt a couple of weekends ago, and had this on my push finger all weekend, and my DH finally asked what was wrong with my finger Sunday evening. LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by smiles
I can't seem to work with a leather thimble so I use a product called Thimble -It. It's is oval in shape & you stick it on your finger, holds really well & works great for me. It's made by Colonial Needle Co. www.colonialneedle.com Tel # 1-800-9-needle
I also use the Thimble-It, but I purchased some rubber fingers at an office supply store and use one of them over it. I can still feel the needle but it is a little extra protection. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Another here who never learned to use a thimble. Quilting can be a real pain and that needle seems to find the hole it punctured over and over! I think I have one of every thimble produced plus some other ideas such as a banjo pick! I finally decided I liked the leather thimbles but those get full of holes. The one I really, really like is the coin thimble that is leather so it fits to my finger but it has a dimpled metal circle in the tip that the needle hasn't punctured yet. Best thing I've found yet.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM

I can not wear a thimble either.

After months of frustration, I tried a baby spoon on the underside of the quilt and it works well for me. Hold the handle in your hand and put your thumb in the spoon. For the top, I use my fingernail. Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Banned

Get one of the Roxanne thimbles. The top is open so your nail can show through and the end of your nail is outside the thimble. It is so comfortable I forget it's there except for the weight.

And always wear it on your THIRD finger, not your index finger.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 AM

you know the rubber fingers you use in an office to sort papers? I use one of those with a little leather "dot" in the end...thats the only one I can use LOL