Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 AM

OMG that is just not right. As a Town Administrator, depending on how offended you are and how much noise you want to make, I would definately be going to my city or town council and letting them know how their local retail businesses are treating potential customers based on their sex. If I was in your town and had a shop I would let you come in and take any lessons you wanted
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM

I knew she was having difficulties staying afloat, but I did not know she was closed. I understand your difficulty in reading directions, there are some I have trouble understanding. Have you tried any of the free videos on line? I learned most of what I know about quilting by watching PBS programs in the 80’s and 90’s.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Hello. This is a problem my late father solved. He kept on with his Love quilts and when he was in hie Late years had the pleasure of making a print and blue crib quilt for his firat great gson. He quilted till he was about 82. Do not ever give up. God gives the love of making and giving quilts to those that will use his gift. So No one should give a bad time to you. You keep looking and Please know the people on this board are most generous of heart and advice. You have just came HOME. Enjoy, Marvel
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Don't feel bad about being treated badly in quilt shops. I am a woman, a big spender on fabric, and still sometimes do not get the time of day from the shop personnel.
I have noticed that many quilt stores owners do not seem very happy people. Could it be that now they spend so much of their time running the business, they have so little time to quilt??
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM

You are still smart! The accident didn't change that part of you.

Don't give up! You could be paving the way for a whole generation of male quilters...

And, I agree with many above me on this message board. You can get a ridiculous amount of information, tips, guides, etc., just by asking.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM

OK.. I know you've said you have difficulties with tutorials but if you'd do me a huge favor I'd be appreciative..I have one on here of a ChurnDash Picture Tutorial.. I have been playing with doing some "easier" tutorials that are mostly pictures.. and would be interested in knowing if there's any way I can make them easier for EVERYONE to use. Wish you were closer to E. Tennessee.. I'd bore you to death with "teaching"
as it's one of my favorite things to do. I get the same treatment when I deal with car dealerships and mechanics as you got at the fabric shop.. also at some motorcycle shops, although they are getting better. You should have seen the looks when I rode my m'cycle from S. Missouri to Baltimore .. solo.. no I wasn't afraid and I met some really rough hardcore bikers along the way and was treated with respect for just "doing it". Some even admitted they wouldn't have the "stones" to do it themselves..lol.. Hang in there.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM

My late husband also quilted. In every quilt shop we went they were delighted that a man quilted. One of them invited him to come in and learn paper piecing. Our guild has several male members. I find it terrible that where you live they treat you so badly. I did know a few men seemed to wonder about his masculinity which I found to be so stupid. Takes all kinds. I wish you luck in finding the help you seek. Phyl
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM

My only problem would be if you could quilt better than me :!: Seriously, I would be willing to meet somewhere and work with you on your skills. One summer between jobs my 11 year old nephew and 4 yr. old niece and I did some basic skills. I have worked with other people and we worked on basic skills. PM me and we will see about meeting up. :XD: :XD: :XD:
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Chris:
I am a woman and found it hard till I joined this blog. Most of the women and men here will help and the tutes are tremendous. I found u tube beneficial as well. You are a loud to ask questions no matter how stupid they may seem. There are some things that even women need to know and have to ask a man and has for many years so don't let it get you down just enjoy your quilting and do not worry about what people think...
Have a question type it in your computer and you will be surprised what you find.
WALA there it is....
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM

chris, i know exactly where you are coming from, i myself had two tramatic brain injuries years ago. i do like you i need to see it and then i can do it. there are lots of videos on utube and i think some of the tutorials in here have a lot of visual instructions. you can do it. it has taken me a while but with this group i have regained my will to keep going and try new things. dont let those people get in your way of learning what you want to learn. these people here will help you when no one else will
good luck
and dont give up
beverly