Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 AM

It's sad to hear your complaint but it works both ways. Surprising the times I've been ignored or avoided in our local home improvements store or car parts store. My professional world is in construction, so you know I can definitely feel for you. As for help in quilting, I'm sure there will be plenty here to help you - though to be honest most not male. My Father too enjoyed the sewing world along with fishing, hunting, cooking etc but he was a auto mechanic by profession after retiring from the Navy. He taught many a soldiers, all of his daughters and son how to fix things and maintain a vehicle along with the relaxation of working with a needle and thread. I warmly and openly invite you to visit and attend any of our guild meetings if you are ever in our neck of the woods - we'd love to have you with us because let's face it a man's view in the world of fabric manipulation that to me has always been unique. I hope there are a number of male quilters on this board that will come to your aid but if not there are plenty of us that will only be more than please to help where we can.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

The Northwest Quilters Guild in Portland had some male quilters around one makes a dragon quilt every year. A few years back they had an all male show and I was shocked to see so many male quilters with quilts in that show. Had no idea there were that many in our area. Go Guys!!!! I took a ongoing painting class, and a man came in to the class so we were rather quiet for awhile and after awhile we got to telling stories and forgot he was there, till he snickered at one of our jokes. After a few classes he was right in there talking as fast as we women were. I think it is great to have a mixed group and would not be afraid to have them there. Jan
Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Hey we women have been there, I'm a doing it myself person in remodeling my home, the hardware stores never wait on me, I always have to track a saleman down.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Tippy, I must say your photo tutorials are wonderful and I can really understand them because you do such a great job showing pictures of each step. Thank you for that.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Chris, my first quilting teacher was a man, and he was an awesome quilter. There are a number of very celebrated male quilters, Ricky Tims being among them. He has both books and videos, and they are great. Find them on Amazon.

I agree with the others who have said you have received poor customer service. Find another store.

Also, you might look to the local college for quilt classes. I teach one at the local community college, and men would be just as welcome as the women. Let me know if you ever want to come to Arkansas.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM

wish you lived in cleveland ohio, I am sure our guild would welcome you. We are such a friendly group. you would be a plus there since there are some things men do better like reaching for tall thinks. seriously you should keep looking around and find a nice friendly group you would soooo enjoy it. and I think the ladies would be happy to have a man around.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

OMGoodness...we are sooo beyond that kind of behavior...Chris...go! Learn from others and enjoy their company while they enjoy your's! Bet u make spectacular quilts! Being a very new beginner...I look forward to this forum every day as so many share their experiences and results as well as questions and accomplishments.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 PM

OMGoodness...we are sooo beyond that kind of behavior...Chris...go! Learn from others and enjoy their company while they enjoy your's! Bet u make spectacular quilts! Being a very new beginner...I look forward to this forum every day as so many share their experiences and results as well as questions and accomplishments.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Have you tried the tutorials. Too bad simply quilts is not on any more. AA had some great shows and I taped some. On line quilt shops sometimes have blogs with step by step that do seem very helpful. Some info is free. Try UTUBE. If I find specific links, I'll add to this.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Move to California - we welcome all! lol I have had a man in a class I took once and didn't have a problem with him there. I was surprised at first, but he really did know his stuff.