Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH asks silly questions >

DH asks silly questions

DH asks silly questions

Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM

I was very late in entering the wonderful world of sewing, crocheting, beading, cross stitch; but now I love everything except knitting. Just never got the hang of it. When my son was born, I was 28, see I was old, and had my grandmother's treadle sewing machine which worked like a dream. After my DH saw all the things I was making he bought me a new Singer that I used for the next thirty years. Now I have a Pfaff, which a I love. I tried quilting when I first started sewing, but thought I wasn't very good at it. After retiring ten years ago I started back at all the terrific crafts there are; hands down quilting is the most satisfying for me. So you are never to old to learn new things and funny thing happened, as I got older I got smarter which has helped immensely.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Mother gave me hand needles to sew with before I was school age. Said she spent way too much time looking for them after I dropped them. She made my clothes until I was out of high school, and fussed about it always. She thought she didn't do well enough, but they were beautiful, and I was never ashamed of them, except a few times when I didn't like the fabric. I have two quilt tops she pieced and did not quilt. After she passed I took a quilting class to be able to finish them. One was all "shiny" fabric that she and I had worn, most of them made by her. I have finished that quilt, and my daughter is the proud owner.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Well, as a child I would sit and watch my mom sew. As soon as she thought I was ready, she taught me to do embroidery and then in the 6th grade, we had a sewing class and I learned then that I had a knack for sewing. When I really got started was when we moved to St. Louis and the school was sponsoring dances. I wanted the full, swingy skirts so I would look "good" while dancing. From that time on, my mom let me make all the clothing for myself I wanted to. My sister also sews and we would fight over the sewing machine because we always had to have something "new" for the Saturday night dances. This was after my mom and I moved back to Alabama. The National Guard Armory always had square dances on Saturday nights and we didn't miss a one. We were the best dressed gals there! After I married and had three girls, I sewed constantly. I even sewed for some members of my family. Mom still continued to sew until her eyesight got bad and she couldn't maneuver the fabric because of arthritis. I only caught the quilting bug a few years ago but I love working with the fabrics (always have) and seeing what I can create. My sister and I went to a beginner quilting class and we've both been quilting since. Boy, this sure brings back the memories!!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM

when I was in 7th grade I took sewing and got bit by the bug.......I got my first job when I was a Jr in high school, and my first paycheck my dad took me to Goldblatts and I bought my first sewing machine, and have not stopped.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 PM

I remember making clothes for my dolls when I was 8 or 9. Then I learned embroidery but never got serious about sewing again until my late teens. I made clothes for my two girls when they were little and dressed them alike until that wasn't "cool" anymore. Then I learned to cross stitch and that is still my passion. Now that I am retired, I do a little bit of everything when the occasion arises, knitting, crocheting, sewing, cross stitch and then lately I have started to quilt. Can't just sit and do nothing.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Learned to sew Barbie Clothes on an old Singer Treadle machine. Many thanks to my Great Aunt, I learned many crafts, but after marrying my DH broke jeans zipper & I refused to hand-sew a new one in. Bought an old White Rotary machine in a case for $10.00 at a flea market & have been sewing ever since. Started with clothing for me & 3 kids, mending of course many times for DH, then to Christmas gifts, etc. I tried a log cabin quilt top 12 yrs ago (UFO)an oversized queen, finished top just before moving from our home into a very small motorhome. This year, after being diagnosed with cancer & going through all that entails, I guess I felt the need to finish one. Started making lap robes & made six so far & a quilted tote bag. Now I'm trying to build my stash to keep going. DH is encouraging me. He's so good!! Think I'll keep him! :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 PM

I always tell my customers that this is cheaper than therapy, especially when they are waffling about buying another fabric. I truly believe it is therapy.
My mother started to really sew when they started square dancing. All the ready made outfits were just alike and so expensive. From making western shirts and her dresses to match, she went on to making alot of our clothes. Easter dresses, first day of school, prom dresses, and my 2 sisters and I took it up too. We all made our wedding dresses and our bridesmaid dresses for each others weddings. I took my sewing machine to college with me. Even made some money sewing for some of my dorm mates. (But I hate to mend!!)
I have often said, "I don't know what people do who don't sew. We are either sewing or showing off our latest project or planning the next one or reading the quilting board!!
I have seen a reawakening to the joy of sewing in the 8-15 year olds. Many grandmothers are buying sewing machines for Christmas presents for that age group. I wonder if that is because they are watchig "Project Runway"What ever is causing it I say"YOU Go!!"
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by scraphappydenise
My DH knows why I quilt... It's my therapy, and he agrees, he probably coudn't afford the other kind, if he ever took my machines away from me.... LOL
This is an interesting angle. Does anyone know what an hour of therapy costs at a psychologist or a psychiatrist (for those who need medicine) Isn't it about $100/hour?

That actually buys quite a bit of fabric. Our husbands should be GRATEFUL for our habit! ;0
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM

I crocheted some when I was around 12 but my mom and grandma always sewed My mom never used a pattern so I learned how to sew that way. O was making button holes by hand before I was a teenager, I now love to cross stitch also. Embroidery, qult and sew for my grandkids. When my children were small I even sewed for the boys and I made pants and shirts for the guys. I used to make matching dresses and coats for the girls for holidays. Wow that was a long time ago.I do think you have to have a passion for it. Why do I sew ? Because I can.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 PM

I learned to crochet at age 18 then quit after a few years and picked up cross stitch and fell in love with that still do it now. When my daughter was in Jr. high school I made some jumper dresses for her and PJ's for her and my son. Then when my DH Aunt passed a few years ago. She used to sew, quilt,and make drapes. I was given alot of her fabric so I decided I wanted to learn to quilt. I also have a couple of her quilts that she made got me inspired to learn for myself so I started teaching myself how to quilt in 2006 and haven't stopped since then. I'm addicted at 53 and can't give it up or its my therapy. :)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM

what would we do with our time away from work if we didn't quilt, crochet, embroidery, etc?
we don't want these to be lost arts. my mom started sewing, crocheting and knitting when she was about 9 years old. my sisters and i started making all our own clothes by age 13-14. we even made coats, bathing suits, curtains, etc.
i don't make clothing for myself anymore but i still love the feel of fabrics and yarn and love to accomplish something special.