Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Clearly this thread was meant for men, but I couldn't resist checking it out. I am sorry that you've had these experiences.

Last summer, when I took the Spicy Sprial class at LQS, one of my classmates was a retired gentleman, probably 80-ish. He was a delight. I found it fascinating, though, and will admit that I did ask him about it.

Originally, his wife was to take a beginner's quilting class. The day before the first class, she took a bad fall and suffered a badly broken wrist. So he went with her to that class, thinking to help w/ cutting, etc. and that probably in a few weeks she could do it on her own. Well, she didn't care for it, and he loved it! He's taken several classes since then, made all of his kids and grandkids a quilt, is now working on ones for his great-grandkids. Has made costumes for the whole family for a trip to Disney @ Halloween.

Anyhow, I wonder if maybe these people don't mean to be unfriendly, but are just curious about you and your story?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM

I don't understand why this happens to you and I sorry to hear that. Our quilt guild has one male quilt and we glad to have him in our group. We do call him our token male quilter and he is a joy to have around. Him and his wife come our Christmas party every year. Wish you lived closer we would love to have you in our quilt guild and help with any thing.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
thank you

I need to have a sit down side by side with people... I was injured several years ago. the meds I am forced to take (due to injury) have interfered with my ability to take written directions and make sense of them. sigh and to think I was a very smart man before my injury

Chris
Chris, I was a very smart woman before my injury too. The good news is I am happier now than i have ever been. If you need help, and need it quick, You can ask it here, where answers are sometimes instantaneous, or if all else fails, go to youtube.com and put quilt in the search box. You would be amazed what i have learned from both sources. Good Luck, and for the record, my dad made my doll clothes for me. If I got snubbed anywhere, they would be put on the "does not exist list".
Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM

i'd ask the people at that quilt shop if they know the name ricky tims. ricky is not a female but those people probably don't know that.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Different genders, age groups, ethnic groups, different nationalities, etc, etc, all bring ideas, skills, open minds, and a gazillion other things to the collective table. When a store owner/manager is their own best customer, they don't go far. If their "guild" is merely a clicky little club for their handpicked/vetted few, then my suggestion is to find a different store/guild, or start your own. I would bet that someone on this site could make a suggestion that would be within 30 to 50 miles of wherever your hometown is. Come to think of it, the repair persons in the shop I go to happen to be men, and they can all sew, as well as, repair.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Chris,

I am sorry you have been treated this way. I have been in a few other guilds that have had male members and I used to teach quilting classes, and would occasionally get a male student. I love having men in the quilting world because I find they have such a different perspective than women and I find that quite interesting. I live in central Indiana. I don't know how close you are but if there is any thing I can do to help, let me know. If you are close to Indy, we have a great guild with at least 2 male guild members. We would be happy to have you join us.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM

I some women have a problem with it i say who cares, that's their problem, just ignore them. If you want to take a class, take one, even if they have a problem. If the sales people at store are giving you problems, talk to the owner. They may not be aware of the discriminantion you're receiving. I say you just need to speak up for your rights. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am always trying to get my husband to learn how to sew, he likes certain bow ties and hats, but i think he is very discouraged to sew. Keep what your doing, It may inspire more men to join in.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

My guild has two male members, one who does mainly machine embroidery and who's wife does the quilting. He works in a LQS and sold me my current Janome 6600. The other is a devoted Grandpa who decided once to make a quilt for his granddaughter and now makes quilts for all the grandchildren. Evidently his wife isn't interested. Both gentlemen are quick to pitch in to help with quilt shows etc.

My late husband was an avid hunter and skeet shooter. He had a weakness for buying shot guns as I have for fabric so we never hassled each other about the cost of our respective hobbies. The hunting spaniels were equally beloved between us. He would have been tickled if I'd taken up his pursuits and would have been happy to have him quilt. As it was, although he never wanted to go to a quilt show he always volunteered to help set up my guild's quilt shows and hang the quilts. He would later share with me which were his favorites with some excitement.

Hang in there. I'm a retired criminal defense lawyer so I took some gaff from the older judges and I just let it roll off.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Just keep going back to that store, let them get to know you. We women have dealt with this all our lives. It takes time. I work on my own truck quite often, its old and is in constant need of repair. When I first started going into the auto parts store they treated me like I was a "girl". Well I am, and I dont know everything about cars like they do. I was a joke to them, until that got to know me. Now they welcome me. I can call and they reocognize my voice, by the time I get there they see coming through the parking lot and have the part laying on the desk. I dont even have to tell I was the one that called. It took about 6 months to accomplish that and was well worth the effort. Same thing at the local Lowes. I went in a few weeks ago to by plexiglass for the bottom of my hand bags. Being it wasnt he store I normally go into I had no idea where it was and asked the gentleman what isle I could find it. Oh he had to walk me there and try to belittle me at the same time. First he asked what I would be doing with this plexi, and then he says "And just what would a handbag maker use to cut this plexi with" At that point I had to let him know I wasnt your run of the mill dainty never turned a screw gal. Push come to shove I pretty sure I could out do him on many a project. After he realized I knew my tools and not my way around the store he changed his tune. I don't hold it against him. But should I go back to that store and I will, Darrel will be helping me again I'll hunt him down. And I dont do that to be mean, it just makes my experence at the store better once he gets to know me. Anything worth having is worth waiting and working for. How bad do you want it is the real question.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Here is one link to videoes. All People Quilt.com have some how to's worth looking at, especially beginners and probably more. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos/?videoId=4258616