Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Bluekrissyspikes,
In my guild you can join @ 12 yrs old. Adult age is 18, our youngest member is Mark(20) and he's been a member since he was 12. He makes fabulous quilts and teaches too. Its been great to see him grow as a quilter. He's one of our guild librarians.
Sharon
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Chris, I wish you lived in Wi. We would be glad to have you in our group. My answer is, Rosy Greer did needlepoint and I don't think anyone laughted at him.
Lorac
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM

If you can't find another shop where they treat you better, then try killing them with kindness. I once had a patient who would sit and glare at me while I tried to help her. I made it a point to call her by name every time she came in. About every other time I saw her I would say something nice, along the line of "I love your shirt, where did you get that?" It took several times of me ignoring her glares and killing her with kindness, but she stopped glaring, started speaking nicely to me, and then before she moved, she came in to my work and gave me a goodbye hug! It's worth a try if there is no other shops around. I agree with the taking a class idea. It's a good chance to meet people. Have your wife take a good book and go along if it makes them more comfortable. Eventually you will win them over.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM

I was the first female material handler, first female fork lift operator, first female receiving clerk, and first industrial engineer at a company I worked for. Now I am a nurse. Oh, I grew up on a dairy farm and worked as hard as my brothers or any hired hand. And my Mom taught me to sew. I'm not a perfectionist but love quilting.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

I am sorry that you have experienced this kind of predujice. My dh has been quilting for about 12 years and has won many ribbons. Loves the competition...just like sports. He has been president of the local guild for three years. YET...the owner of the local quilt shop would not allow him to come to a sew-in simply because he is a man. She says that she can't understand how I allow him to quilt. This episode has created quite a difference of opinion among our local quilters.

Keep doing what you enjoy, and let the "bad" people live with their awful opinions.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
Try this list of quilds in Indiana! You may find one you like!! http://www.quiltguilds.com/indiana.htm
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Click on the home page to find listings in other states!!! Home page is on the left in this link!!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my nephew's girlfriend a few years ago (was 17 at the time) was almost chased out of a shop (the one my hubby will not go to anymore)...she was treated like she had no business being there, and her questions were responded to so rudely that she left, and called me crying...now she had to drive an extra 40 miles to get what she needed...kind of makes you wonder how they stay in business
Makes me think of that scene in Pretty Woman where the ladies in the Rodeo Drive shop wouldn't help her...she went back dressed to the nines and told them how stupid they were! Maybe a fabulous quilt needs to be taken in to that shop and say "See what I made! I was willing to buy the fabric here, but you were so rude to me that I will be spending all my quilting money elsewhere!"
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Oh man, that's not good. I'm sorry that you've been treated that way.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Chris, my first quilting teacher was a man, and he was an awesome quilter. There are a number of very celebrated male quilters, Ricky Tims being among them. He has both books and videos, and they are great. Find them on Amazon.

I agree with the others who have said you have received poor customer service. Find another store.

Also, you might look to the local college for quilt classes. I teach one at the local community college, and men would be just as welcome as the women. Let me know if you ever want to come to Arkansas.
thanks for this invite