Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM

I haven't read all the prior pages and hope this isn't a repeat. I happened to find a thread here about a month ago at the following link. It contained info on a then upcoming event, but it had a number of links in it that might lead to something just for you special guys.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-77090-1.htm'

BTW I love seeing the take you fellows have, especially on the "traditionals" where so often you take an entirely different and quite refreshing approach. Your minds work differently than ours and we need your input to keep us freshened up on our ideas. Hang in there 'cause we love having you.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM

There is lots of help. Where I live our lqs is owned by a retired couple and the husband makes quilts all the time. Hang in there and I bet you can find some one on one help.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
My guild has two male members, one who does mainly machine embroidery and who's wife does the quilting. He works in a LQS and sold me my current Janome 6600. The other is a devoted Grandpa who decided once to make a quilt for his granddaughter and now makes quilts for all the grandchildren. Evidently his wife isn't interested. Both gentlemen are quick to pitch in to help with quilt shows etc.

My late husband was an avid hunter and skeet shooter. He had a weakness for buying shot guns as I have for fabric so we never hassled each other about the cost of our respective hobbies. The hunting spaniels were equally beloved between us. He would have been tickled if I'd taken up his pursuits and would have been happy to have him quilt. As it was, although he never wanted to go to a quilt show he always volunteered to help set up my guild's quilt shows and hang the quilts. He would later share with me which were his favorites with some excitement.

Hang in there. I'm a retired criminal defense lawyer so I took some gaff from the older judges and I just let it roll off.
If this wonderful lady was a 'criminal defense lawyer', and now retired, that means she got to hear those 'nice' comments about being 'unwomanly' back when nice girls only went to college to find a good husband. You go girl! You are the real inspiration for the new "Girl Power" slogan. Applause! Applause! :thumbup:
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Hi Chris. I do quilting (longarm) for several men who quilt and have held classes and "quilt days" which have included men. PM me and I'll put you in touch. If you are too far away, at least you could talk/e-mail.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Hi Chris. I live about 45 min north west of you and I have been shopping at a LQS here that I think is just wonderful. I know that it is not really close to you but maybe they could help you. If you would like more information on it i would be more than happy to send you there email address.
April
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry you don't feel wanted in the quilt shops. Our shop doesn't treat men that way. We have lots of men in this area that quilt and run embroidery machines. I 've had men in my quilt classes several times and usually they are very good at it. One time I had a husband and wife take a class together. She hated it and he loved it, but I think they are both still quilting.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM

I am always pleased to see a male quilter!! Lots of we gals have woodworking, etc. hobbies which are usually out of our gender. Good for you and keep it up!!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM

that is a dreadful attitude for quilt shop don't they realise that there are alot of male quilters out there that do absolutely stunning work!! At least on here there is no difference you will get loads of help and advice just ask away
Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
I haven't read all the prior pages and hope this isn't a repeat. I happened to find a thread here about a month ago at the following link. It contained info on a then upcoming event, but it had a number of links in it that might lead to something just for you special guys.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-77090-1.htm'

BTW I love seeing the take you fellows have, especially on the "traditionals" where so often you take an entirely different and quite refreshing approach. Your minds work differently than ours and we need your input to keep us freshened up on our ideas. Hang in there 'cause we love having you.
Just so you know, this link doesn't work!!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Chris, just a thought here, contact your local adult school and see if they have any quilt classes, our local adult school would love to have a male in the class, we all value each others opion and I am sure a mans point of view would be great. My husband goes with me o LQS and talks to everyone, I wish you luck, change shops if they aren't kind, they don't deserve your business