Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH asks silly questions >

DH asks silly questions

DH asks silly questions

Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Dont remember what age it was early, i remember having two dolls one was made of rubber the other was a headless barbie i got from one of my cousins. needle and thread was all i had but it didnt stop me just made barbie clothes and gave them to my cousins lord know i didnt play with the dolls and have been doing some kind of needle craft since. crochet, embrodery, cross stitch, plastic canvas sewing of course. like many folks that are classified "baby boomers" i came from a large family and you made do with what you had and to this day i still buy stuff at yard sales , coodwill some to fix and wear others for quilting . any of my hobbies are like the lady said calgon take me away if is not sewing drafting a new pattern its reading up on something i havent done or need a refresher on BUT i never do any actual quilting when mad because i will just take it out being unsatisfied with the results
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM

I remember my mother sewing from my earliest memories. She was so talented and could even make her own patterns. I started sewing at age 9 with her help and then spent 10 years in 4-H making many projects. I took home ec in junior high school and made most of my clothes, even my wedding gown, and my mother made the bridesmaids dresses. I have two older sisters and neither of them had (or have) the least interest in sewing. After I was married I leaned to knit, crochet, do embroidery, and for years I focused on counted cross stitch. I had twin sons and did sewing for them, for myself, and our home. I had wanted to learn to quilt and after I retired in 2002, I saw a sign in a JoAnn's about an upcoming beginning quilting class. The rest is history. Since January 2003 I have quilted and seldom miss a day of it. I absolutely love quilts and quilting brings so much satisfaction in my life. My mother died a few years ago, but I often think of the joy she gave me by introducing me to sewing.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by laurac
what would we do with our time away from work if we didn't quilt, crochet, embroidery, etc?
we don't want these to be lost arts. my mom started sewing, crocheting and knitting when she was about 9 years old. my sisters and i started making all our own clothes by age 13-14. we even made coats, bathing suits, curtains, etc.
i don't make clothing for myself anymore but i still love the feel of fabrics and yarn and love to accomplish something special.
Oh how I can relate to that. Just having the fabric laying on the sewing table and thinking about the upcoming project makes me feel good. Same with a new skein of yarn in a brilliant color, or my beads which come in the most gorgeous colors; all of these make me so happy. I just can't imagine not having those things in my life.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 AM

I remember making my Barbie clothes when I was in 4th grade and my aunt teaching me to make a dresden quilt top at about 10-11. I found out she still had the quilt. She was like me and had to have it done the right way. She can no longer see to quilt but she still loves her quilts. I too have always loved fabric. I embroirder, cross stitch, sew, make clothes clothing and quilt.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I learned to crochet and knit at the age of 7. I had a little sewing machine when I was ten. It was plastic and hand crank operated. It made a chain stitch. My grandma taught me to do button hole stitches very early also. At the age of 17 I only owned clothes made by myself. The summer before my senior year I spent it sewing. I stopped for a while and when I was pregnant of my son I sent out to DMC for a little Koala bear that came with Aida, thread needle, a pattern and instructions to learn to cross stitch. I now have a huge collection of patterns, threads and fabrics, all in storage. In 2001 a friend asked me to finish a cross stitch. I did and for the payment I asked for quilting classes. After 2 classes I was hooked and went on my own. The rest is history.
I started off with a little brown bear kit like that. I taught myself to do it and now I love it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by deema
I learned to crochet as a child, but never did much with it aside from simple baby blankets. I got my first sewing machine three years ago, and didn't do much with that, either, until the end of August this year when I decided I wanted to make a quilt. I had NO idea what making a quilt entailed, nobody in my family sews or quilts outside of basic mending...I just wanted to make a quilt. And so, an addiction is born... :lol:
Welcome to the crowd. It hit me too.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I do think it's something in our blood. I love to sew, have loved sewing since I was a little girl. My Mom, however, hates anything to do with a sewing machine. My Dad's mother, and all of his sisters sewed. One sister worked for Singer for years. Unfortunately, none of them lived close enough to me to teach me anything. When my paternal grandmother passed away, dad inherited her machine because he had bought it for her. A Pfaff 130.

I would beg for fabric every time we went to town. Starated out making aprons for my other grandmother. That was something I could come up with without a pattern. Then I took home ec and learned a little more there.

I didn't sew much after I first got married until a good friend of ours made my husband a western shirt. He went on and on and on and on....ooing and awing over it. I thought, I can do that just as good as she can! So, I bought my first machine and started making his shirts. For years he didn't have a store bought shirt. I saved all of my scraps for years and finally decided to make quilts with them, so here I am. I don't have the room to really lay out fabric to cut out clothes. But, I can cut out quilt pieces, so at the moment I've having fun with quilting.
I was sewing long before Home Ec class and was a help to the teacher in my class. I was the only girl in class that had a 100+ year old pair of scissors. I even made my sister's wedding dress. I bought mine.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I was 6. I got a cute little kids Electric Singer for Christmas and my dad taught me how to sew troll doll clothes and barbie clothes. I've never stopped sewing. :D
I loved my troll doll. He had the greenest hair you ever saw.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by scraphappydenise
My DH knows why I quilt... It's my therapy, and he agrees, he probably coudn't afford the other kind, if he ever took my machines away from me.... LOL
This is an interesting angle. Does anyone know what an hour of therapy costs at a psychologist or a psychiatrist (for those who need medicine) Isn't it about $100/hour?

That actually buys quite a bit of fabric. Our husbands should be GRATEFUL for our habit! ;0
My sister pays closer to $200 dollars an hour. She has a machine and nevr sews.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
No one in my family sews but me. My mom did sew when we were young but didn't later on. She did crochet and do some needlework. I am the only crocheter in my family. My brother's daughter does crochet some. The first Christmas we were married my DH bought me a sewing machine and I have had one ever since - 46 years.
I remember daddy buying mama a Kenmore machine when I was in high school adn I taught my mama how to sew.