Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 PM

My kiddos are 34 and 28 yrs old. I saved all the baby blankets and quilts that were hand made as gifts for them. Any of the store bought items, I gave away. I received a knitted sweater made by a very special lady with crippled hands. One quilt was made by my Aunt in Washington state that is now deceased. I wouldn't trade any of those items for a bag of gold. They are treasures and could not be replaced. Hopefully my quilts and things I make will be used, enjoyed and treasured by those who receive them.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Anyone can go into a store and purchase something...but someone who takes the time and love to craft a gift has truly given of themselves in a very special way. I have a problem purchasing a Hallmark card because of their commercial that says you only care when you send a Hallmark card - when anyone goes to the trouble to get a card (of any kind), get it addressed and stamped into the mailbox - they have already shown how much they care. To me it's the same with hand-crafted gifts, I prefer them as I know the giver has put thought and love into it vs buying just to buy and not because some commercial has told them what to buy.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
My daughter always tells me she would rather have the things i make her for a gift than go out and but it.
my daughters tell me the same thing! aren't they wonderful!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 AM

The therapy I get from sewing is even more important than the finished product.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Due to recalls of plenty of reuseable bags for groceries etc, I am using fabric to make those bags. Makes a nice gift that can be used and washed and no worry about lead in them. Expensive yes, but check out your stash and it is money already spent.
You make it with love and as said earlier always better quality. Another gift we are giving this year is homemade jelly with fancy fabric under the ring. Makes nice gift for home bound and for those who you just want to remember. They eat the food and remember you.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM

Love, memories, and time are made into each item. You cannot put a price on THAT. If it is something special, then put toghether a log of it from beginning to end so the recepient will have what is stiched into it also.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM

I made my daughters dresses (in the 60s and 70s) sometimes copying a beautiful dress I saw in a very expensive store. I spent many long hours at the machine after the (6) kids went to sleep. Sometimes until 2 in the morning.

It did matter. Whenever we are looking at old photos; Christmas etc. my 51-year old daughter says, "Look Mom, that is the dress you made me. I loved that dress!" Yes! It does matter. Happy sewing. Yolanda
Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.
There are a lot of things that are actually cheaper in the store, especially quilts. But, they do not come with love hidden in every stitch.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM

I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.

I was shopping today and saw reasonable prices and was
thinking these same thoughts. Even considered mentioning this here. Great minds think alike !!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar

I was shopping today and saw reasonable prices and was
thinking these same thoughts. Even considered mentioning this here. Great minds think alike !!!!
Does make one wonder at times, doesn't it. Especially in today's economy. I still enjoy the items I make.