Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't wear a thimble! >

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Try the "ring" type at JoAnn's, they don't cover the whole top of the finger, just around. They come 3 in a package. This is the ONLY kind I can use. :thumbup:
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM

http://www.customthimbles.com/

Go to this link. They are the most awesome thimble ever. I hate thimbles and have a hard time wearing them. This one just fits perfectly and you can go at the needle at all angles.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Banned

I learned to use a thimble way back when I was in the army. Learned while sewing on patches. You might try practicing on something that really needs the push of the thimble until you get accustomed to it. I use the inexpensive on with a depression in the top.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM

I don't have time right now to read all the responses, so please forgive me if this has been posted already. I use a very soft leather thimble that has an opening for my fingernail. Correct size is a must! I always had difficulty with the thimble moving around or coming off my finger even though it fit snugly. Using a toothpick, I put one small drop of Aleene's "Tack it Over and Over" inside the thimble and let it dry clear. For those unfamiliar with this, it's the type of glue you can put on appliques that you want to be removable. It keeps it's tackiness for a very long time. I've worn out my leather thimbles before the tackiness was gone. The thimble will stay very comfortably on your finger like a second skin. I've actually forgotten I had my thimble on and plunged my hand into dishwater before I remembered!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:59 PM

I too have issues with using thimbles and like you, I've tried them all. For me a bandaid or piece of masking tape on my fingers work well and when I get stuck I stick the wounded thumb or finger into a can of bag balm which depending on the severity of the stick, often heals it up over night. Just keep on quilting and do the best you can. Once I get going with the quilting my fingers toughen up (calluses) and then I don't get stuck so often. Good luck.
GrammyPatty7

Originally Posted by tellabella
I have tried every type of thimble and can't get used to any of them... when I get desperate I wear duct tape and bandaids..I have tried liquid bandages..those dots, leather, plastic, metal, nothing feels good and I just can't get used to one..when I do a lot of applique or hand sewing my finger gets sore and full of holes...any suggestions...you guys know everything...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Well now never thought of that. Will have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Take a hammer and whack the rim of the thimble to form an oval.
It will fit your finger and not feel awkward. Use an inexpensive one to try it.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
I too have issues with using thimbles and like you, I've tried them all. For me a bandaid or piece of masking tape on my fingers work well and when I get stuck I stick the wounded thumb or finger into a can of bag balm which depending on the severity of the stick, often heals it up over night. Just keep on quilting and do the best you can. Once I get going with the quilting my fingers toughen up (calluses) and then I don't get stuck so often. Good luck.
GrammyPatty7

I have tried every type of thimble and can't get used to any of them... when I get desperate I wear duct tape and bandaids..I have tried liquid bandages..those dots, leather, plastic, metal, nothing feels good and I just can't get used to one..when I do a lot of applique or hand sewing my finger gets sore and full of holes...any suggestions...you guys know everything...

Bag balm???....bag as in cow???? :oops:
Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Bag Balm - yes, as in cows and in quilters sore fingers. A can was given me when I really became an active hand quilter and had sore fingers. My sister in law gave it to me and I still use it as needed. You can do a search for it online or check out your local pharmacy. Not sure if Walmart carries it or not but know I've periodically seen them in the drug stores.
GrammyPatty7

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by grammypatty7
GrammyPatty7

Bag balm???....bag as in cow???? :oops:
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 PM

I did this for years also and then became allergic to the acrylic sigh now I own thousands of thimbles and one work!!!