Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!!!!!!   we are getting shocked. >

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM

I wear those clogs around the house, are they not made from rubber, and then I have 2 pair of shoes with rubber bottoms, I still zapped.

I don't have a steamcleaner, but I searching to find one.

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
it happens to me here too.. dilute a lil bit of liquid downy in a spray bottle with water, spray carpet.. not only will it take away static cling it will smell April fresh... careful not to use too much downy will leave blue spots if u use too much- just a couple of tablespoons-depending on the size of your spray water bottle..
I was going to suggest diluted softener too - I'd spray it all over just like fabreeze. Remember to use softener in the washer too.

How about rubber shoes to ground you? :)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Wow. You're bringing back memories here. I lived in Mandan for 30 yrs. I've been gone for 9 yrs. and still miss it. Not so much the cold, cold, winters but summers were great and I love the barren hills.
Anyway, back to your question. Humidifier in the house. One attached to the furnace is best.
Car door handles you kind of just get used to.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I am trying all that I can. So far going barefooted this morning and I've been fine.

I am concerned about my computer, because i've zapped it a couple times in the last couple days. Not today thou, barefooted, so hopefully that will be it. I've just always worn socks atleast around the house to keep warm and keep the heat down, but it is working.

Merry Christmas to everyonea and thanks again.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM

We moved west of Mandan about 95 miles or so in November. The car doors haven't shocked me yet, just everything in the house. I did ask DH last night, and we have no humidifier on furnace. The humifier in the living room has run 24-7 since last week.

DH purchased an electric heater (similar to a Eden Pure) that has a humidfier attached to it this past Saturday in Bismarck, should be delivered this afternoon.

thanks for the hints.

Originally Posted by rndelling
Wow. You're bringing back memories here. I lived in Mandan for 30 yrs. I've been gone for 9 yrs. and still miss it. Not so much the cold, cold, winters but summers were great and I love the barren hills.
Anyway, back to your question. Humidifier in the house. One attached to the furnace is best.
Car door handles you kind of just get used to.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Have a furnace company install a humidifier attached to your furnace. It is about the only thing that helps. April Aire is the one I have as well as a lot of people I know here in Sioux Falls, SD. Here is the link: http://www.aprilaire.com/

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM

a former co-worker would take a key out of his pocket & touch metal first to prevent getting shocked. i get shocked here in the office every time i get up and touch something. i also use my elbow or hip to touch the file cabinets first. i'm going to try the fabric softner.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You might try spraying your carpet with some anti-static spray.
I use that stuff like crazy! Have several cans. One in the laundry room. One in the bedroom for when I get dressed. No sticking pant legs for me! And one in my studio-dining room.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I"m in Colorado and get shocked often!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I hope that is just static electricity! I say that because when I was quite young we lived in a mobile home & we started getting shocked everytime we opened our door. It turned out to be an electrical problem and since this is a new home to you, maybe your hubby should look into that possibility. That was 45 years ago so I can't remember the actual cause but I do remember the shock because it was just like the shocks I get now that I know are caused by static electricity. I hope you can rid your house of the shocks soon, whatever they're caused by.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Checked on that......the house was built in 1998. Sometimes can happen if wiring was put in and someone stapled or nailed into the wiring. At the moment we don't think that is it. But it is on list if all of the great hints and such from this board are not working.
Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by Karenn
I hope that is just static electricity! I say that because when I was quite young we lived in a mobile home & we started getting shocked everytime we opened our door. It turned out to be an electrical problem and since this is a new home to you, maybe your hubby should look into that possibility. That was 45 years ago so I can't remember the actual cause but I do remember the shock because it was just like the shocks I get now that I know are caused by static electricity. I hope you can rid your house of the shocks soon, whatever they're caused by.