Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky, wonky, wonky... >

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Would you decide that one of those "challenges" was enough and look the piece over more carefully before accepting it next time?

I'm just not into masochism. :|
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Is this one of your quilts - or someone else's?

If it's one of yours, I think I would just use it as an example - - -
of what can go wrong - -
As above (quote) - and smile while you finish it up - and donate it - I'll bet it is still warm and cozy - and I doubt they are going to stop to measure it!
Marysewfun @-->-
Old 12-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Yes, this is a vintage quilt top that a customer brought me, one of several. The top itself is strip pieced blocks, i.e., the quilter took a bunch of random strips and pieced them together into 6" blocks, and then sewed the blocks together. Then, to "quilt" it, they sewed individual squares of fabric to the back of each block making it a lightweight quilt. This further complicates things because it restricts how much that I can pull and tug on the top to try and get things to lay flat. So I'm quilting it on the longarm and quilting through the original top and "backing" they did, and through my batting and solid backing.

I've got it about 3/4 of the way done, it has just been a real challenge. Too, those strips pieced into the blocks, a lot of them have pleats in them, etc. But the main problem seems to be those squares of "backing" they sewed to the back of each block, since they are really limiting how much I can pull and tug on this thing. Oh, well, we shall do what we can do to salvage it!
Sounds like its already got some pleats in the piecing, so if you add a few more little ones because you can't stretch it out, it's not a disaster. Since it was not the best piecing to start with, I would think the customer is wanting to preserve the memories and won't be displaying it as a work of art. Keep going the best you can and I think they'll be impressed with the preservation of their loved ones work.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Oh no.. I have heard of a bee in your bonnet... but not in the undies :shock: I hope it works out for you :D:D:D
Hopefully he's not wearing any bonnets!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Eddie - guess I missed the part about it being a quilt brought to you - - - sorry - - - will teach me to read all the posts before I open my keyboard!!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM

I have a vintage top on the longarm that looks...well..... Nothing is square about it, it's about 6" narrower at one end than the other, it's drifts off to the left, many of the blocks are "belled", etc. At this point I think I'd rather have a bunch of bees in my underwear than finish this. Ugh!!!
The first quilt I sent to a long arm just to be basted was in just that shape but I was too new to know the difference. Bless my quilters heart, she actually took some tucks in the quilt top to help square it off a little and you couldn't even see the tucks. It's that quilt that constantly reminds me how much I have learned and how much I have improved. We do learn by our mistakes. I sure would let the owner know before you do anything to it what the problems are...would hate to see you struggle with it and then have her/him pitch a fit at the outcome.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM

I had one like that and I called it squashed frogs. The pieces that were supposed to be flowers looked like frogs that had been run over. But I just kept telling myself that this is someone's treasure. Not everyone is a seamstress! It had been hand pieced by an 83 year old blind woman. I used alot of small stippling to hold down the worst of the puckers. The client was very happy with the results and finally admitted she had sent it to me because she didn't think it could be quilted. Now she tells me! Just enjoy the quilting process put on some good music with a fast rythym and get it done.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Just think of it as an art quilt. Many of those are wonky on purpose. LOL
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM

I have a vintage top on the longarm that looks...well..... Nothing is square about it, it's about 6" narrower at one end than the other, it's drifts off to the left, many of the blocks are "belled", etc. At this point I think I'd rather have a bunch of bees in my underwear than finish this. Ugh!!!
Been there and done that ! ! ! ! I finally just separated the quilt in half and made two lap throws out of it. I was shocked to see the two "halves" didn't look catty wompus after separating the larger piece. I bet if I had done a little justifiable streatching and tugging I could have straightened out that mess. I just got tired fooling around with it. Let yours rest for a few days and get started again with fresh eyes (and attitude) and maybe you can finish this without any problems. Your work is beautiful and I know you want this to be perfect and when you are finished I bet it will be perfect. Good Luck, and let us know what happens in the next chapter of this quilt.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Instead of making a large quilt from this top, how about cutting it into smaller pieces and making pillow tops, runners or toppers, dresser scarves, totes, a jacket or vest, or whatever might lend itself to a smaller venue where the "wonky-ness" is not so obvious...

I know its sinful to cut up a vintage piece, but sometimes it just works better, doncha think???