Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello Everyone from a Quilt Addict in CA >

Hello Everyone from a Quilt Addict in CA

Hello Everyone from a Quilt Addict in CA

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Oh My, the responses on this thread have been wonderful. Thank you all so much for your warm, generous and kind welcomes. I'm honored to be here.

I just love the quilts that are in some of the avatars. I also love the dog and cat. They are so cute. MNM, I'm so glad you also have 2 sons on the Sheriff's Dept. What a coincidence.

I have been busy today TRYING to make an 8 point star block. Oh wow, it was so hard to get that star right. I had to throw away my first attempt because it was a disaster. After 8 hours, on and off, all day long, I finally got it done correctly. It took a lot of precision measuring and cutting and making sure my seam allowance was exactly 1/4" before every square/triangle fit together nicely. I'm pleased with the result though but because it was so hard to put the star together, I'm not sure I want to make a 12 block quilt using it. Here's a picture.

I welcome critiquing of it but please be gentle in your constructive criticism, hahahaha.

My first 8 point star block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140647[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-140642.jpe
Views:	42
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	140647  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Welcome from Michigan. We are glad to have you. May you get really fast at quilting so you can accomplish your goal.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Also for a first attempt star block you did a fabulous job.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Hahaha. I don't know how fast I can become because that 8 point star today kicked my butt and I was at stress level 10 trying to get it right.

Yes, 92 wheelchair quilts and 92 throw size quilts is quite a project to take on but..............I must confess, I have started to cheat.

Along with making my own blocks which I will, of course, make into quilts for the vets, I'm buying blocks already made from Ebay. I got some lovely flannel blocks today (30 of them) and will be able to make 2 quilts with them. I usually put borders around each block to make the block larger, then sew them together to complete the quilt.

Of course I will let the VFW lady know I did NOT make the blocks themselves (the ones I bought off Ebay) but that I did put them together and completed the quilt. She won't care. She's just glad to be getting nice quilts to share with the vets in the Barstow vets home.

At least now I have a purpose for them; they will actually be used for a good cause so I am motivated to sew every day. It may take me a few years to get 184 quilts done but it shouldn't be too bad because 92 of them will be crib size (perfect for wheelchair bound people).

So, when I post here, don't be surprised if I am huffing and puffing while wiping the sweat off my brow and I'm in a frenzy. It's just me joyfully sewing my fingers off.

Hey, maybe I will get to be fast. Is there a Guinnes Book of World Records entry for the person that makes the fastest 12 or 24 block quilt? I just may win that coveted title. I won't guarantee the quilts will be any good but...

Hahahaha.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM

Oh Jojo, thank you so much. However, if you could have been here, you would have heard "sailor's talk" coming out of my frustrated mouth. Hahaha. My daughter-in-law was laughing so hard watching me spaz out over not getting that block right. I was bound and determined though. I hate giving up. I refuse to allow something like sewing a block to get me down and make me give up. So, I stayed with it (with breaks in between of course), until the job was done.

I feel a "break" comin on...that block beat me up today. I'll try another pattern tomorrow. :)
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Hi Janetter......oh tell me about that project of yours. I'd love to make one and send it on. Someone on Ebay also is involved in making blankets for soldiers. I saved the link and am going to check it out. It's:

http://soldiersangels.org/blankets-of-gratitude.html

I dabble in crocheting as well. I managed to learn the granny square and am in the process of putting my first one together now that all the squares are done. I'm sure they would love to have quilts too, not just crocheted blankets.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Hello and Welcome from Valley Center, CA. You will enjoy everything in here and want to try everything you see. Lots of pretty work in here.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Welcome from Chattanooga!

Thank you for your work on behalf of the veterans... May God bless you,
GrandPa
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Welcome from Bay Area, CA. I'm a newbie to the message board myself and love it. Also get lots of helpful suggestions from message board members posts.
Carolynn in Mtn View, CA
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Hi and welcome I know you will learn heaps from all the talent people on this board because I have.