Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I just brought home a very old lady. I haven't had time to look anything up, but she's no featherweight - the little bugger weighs 30 pounds. She has a shuttle instead of a bobbin. I'm not sure I've ever seen one prior to today.
Geeze, this sounds exciting! Please post a picture of this lady!

Nancy
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Pennijanine, Nice machine! It will be gorgeous when it is all cleaned up.

I just noticed that you are from the Stockton area. I'm in the East Bay, Pleasanton area. Every day I check CL to see what new machines are posted in the Bay Area up to Sacramento (how I found Nancy's machine).
That is how she found two of my machines! A beautiful 1953 Featherweight and the 1880 - 1890 Davis Vertical Feed treadle!

Today my DH brought home two machines the lady that lives next to my FIL gave him. One is a 1950 White Crinkle Black in a cabinet. The other one is a New Home. Does anyone know how to age the New Home? It is a really cool looking machine SS #NHR 114370. It has a double badge on the inside of the arm with the date 1869 like it is some kind of centennial machine or something?

I'll take a couple pictures and post them.

Nancy
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by pennijanine
This is one of my 301 machines. I am going to love sewing on him, after Billy works his magic. I think he is in pretty bad shape, but has MUCH potential.
Pennijanine, Nice machine! It will be gorgeous when it is all cleaned up.

I just noticed that you are from the Stockton area. I'm in the East Bay, Pleasanton area. Every day I check CL to see what new machines are posted in the Bay Area up to Sacramento (how I found Nancy's machine).
I check every day too. Mostly slim pickens' around here.

:cry:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM

The lady I brought home today is not as old as I thought. Her model number is AK867407 which the Singer site indicates she was born in 1952. I can't believe they were using shuttles in a machine that late. On the back it says
Cat#8Z9-B
SS AU52-16-1
She looks a little like Rhonda's model 15, but plainer. She needs a lightbulb.

She does sew - I had to adjust the tension at the seller's house, but I don't want to use it until I clean it and oil it. It has not been in use. They have a 1965 model 128 (maybe, that's what the seller said) that I may look at after Christmas. I couldn't deal with a machine in a cabinet today - a plain desk type cabinet. The bobbin on that one jams, but I think I could get it running. I almost had it when I decided I was here to purchase, not work on her machines. She didn't know how to thread them, but offered no history. She has the original receipt on the 1965 machine.
Here's my little plain Jane heavyweight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-140669.jpe
Views:	583
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	140674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-140670.jpe
Views:	578
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	140675  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

The lady I brought home today is not as old as I thought. Her model number is AK867407 which the Singer site indicates she was born in 1952. I can't believe they were using shuttles in a machine that late. On the back it says
Cat#8Z9-B
SS AU52-16-1

She does sew - I had to adjust the tension at the seller's house, but I don't want to use it until I clean it and oil it. It has not been in use. They have a 1965 model 128 (maybe, that's what the seller said) that I may look at after Christmas. I couldn't deal with a machine in a cabinet today - a plain desk type cabinet. The bobbin on that one jams, but I think I could get it running. I almost had it when I decided I was here to purchase, not work on her machines. She didn't know how to thread them, but offered no history. She has the original receipt on the 1965 machine.
That one is a 128 you have there with the Blackside finish and a quite desirable machine to own! The condition looks to be immaculate and when you clean the machine be careful not to damage the finish on the Blackside parts. They are very hard to come by in good condition.

Billy
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Does anyone know how to age the New Home? It is a really cool looking machine SS #NHR 114370. It has a double badge on the inside of the arm with the date 1869 like it is some kind of centennial machine or something?

I'll take a couple pictures and post them.

Nancy
Nancy the New Home Sewing Machine Company started out in 1879 so you might want to look at the plate one more time and be sure of the number. I have the companies production records and I can date it for you but I need a good number to work off of.

Billy
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Thank you, Billy. A problem already. When I went to move the machine carrying it by the top arm, the wooden base fell apart. It was very difficult to deal with because the weight of the machine was still attached, but I managed to glue it back together with some carpenter's glue and added some shims that were missing in the corners. Red duct tape does nothing for the case!

Questions - is the age correct if this is the 128? Did they really use shuttles that late? Is there anything less flammable and less smelly than kerosene to clean it with? It's too cold here to work outside. The metal parts appear to be in very good shape. It has fewer chips than my Elna- in fact, it appears to have none. The wood is a little musty smelling, but I can deal with that as long as it's intact.

One more question - can the feeds be dropped on this machine? That's my only compliant on my Elna. I love that machine, but it would be nice to have adjustable pressure foot or the capability to drop the feeddogs. No, I have one more on the Elna - it sews so perfectly, it's a bit** to take out any stitches.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Power Poster

Cat#8Z9-B
SS AU52-16-1

Woohooo! Not sure what it is but sure looks pretty and in super shape. have fun!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM

My featherweight box has a very musty smell, as well. How do you get rid of that smell?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 AM

[quote=Lostn51]
Cat#8Z9-B
SS AU52-16-1

That one is a 128 you have there with the Blackside finish and a quite desirable machine to own! The condition looks to be immaculate and when you clean the machine be careful not to damage the finish on the Blackside parts. They are very hard to come by in good condition.

Billy
Billy that is hard to believe that there are shuttles in 1950? I always thought shuttles meant very early 1900's or before?

Nancy