Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations >

Donations

Donations

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 PM

I have done that myself, and it is such a good feeling. Thanks for sharing about your experience
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 PM

There are angels amoung us!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 AM

I use the pre-quilted backing for mine, which has a light loft sewn in already. I do quilt the back and the top together because I am sewing for kids and animals, and they wear longer. I always put a good strong binding on mine too for wear purposes.

Since my sister got sick I have gone to mostly "strip quilts." I just made 6 the last couple days with red, white and blue stripes. Kids love loud colors so try to keep them interesting.

Also make lap quilt size for an adult which is a good snuggle buddy for the kids. They lay on the floor and watch TV, play with clay, and most have names for their quilts, so they are "friends" too.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Very happy to do so. I read so much for quilters and wondered if they knew there were tons of kids, dogs and cats who could use what they sew.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Thanks Ruth. I love every minute I quilt as most quilters do and having them popular to receive makes me feel good about how I use up my time. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.
Lulu's Mama
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi Barbara:
I get overwhelmed at times or get behind or something and then turn to strip quilts to make a lot in a little bit of time. I just cut 2.5" strips out of different colors and find some colors that blend well together and sew them together. Then I put a back of pre-quilted backing/batting material bought at JoAnn's and ta da - a quilt is born. I too have to watch my pennies and I use JoAnn coupons when I can. I also find new material in secondhand stores for $1 a yard. Well worth it.
I am always careful to wash and iron the secondhand material even though it is unsewn, but you don't know who handled it previously.

I tied for a long time when I started, but then tried "stitch in a ditch" which worked out great. It's fun and the quilts look so much more professional. I learned how to do it online and some day will try my hand at regular quilting.

I have made quilts using the pinwheel pattern, the rail fence, combinations of both, but because of speed my favorite is the strip quilts. I saw an ad for blankets and they had used 3-4 different blues with white and a brown and that started me looking into color. I really like them and so do the kids.

I would like to try a bargello quilt but have to wait until I am un-snowed.

Keep quilting.....
Lulu's Mama
Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lulu's Mama
Hi Barbara:
I get overwhelmed at times or get behind or something and then turn to strip quilts to make a lot in a little bit of time. I just cut 2.5" strips out of different colors and find some colors that blend well together and sew them together. Then I put a back of pre-quilted backing/batting material bought at JoAnn's and ta da - a quilt is born. I too have to watch my pennies and I use JoAnn coupons when I can. I also find new material in secondhand stores for $1 a yard. Well worth it.
I am always careful to wash and iron the secondhand material even though it is unsewn, but you don't know who handled it previously.

I tied for a long time when I started, but then tried "stitch in a ditch" which worked out great. It's fun and the quilts look so much more professional. I learned how to do it online and some day will try my hand at regular quilting.

I have made quilts using the pinwheel pattern, the rail fence, combinations of both, but because of speed my favorite is the strip quilts. I saw an ad for blankets and they had used 3-4 different blues with white and a brown and that started me looking into color. I really like them and so do the kids.

I would like to try a bargello quilt but have to wait until I am un-snowed.

Keep quilting.....
Lulu's Mama
I know what you mean about the strip quilts. They do go together quickly. I make them alot with flannel and do the stitch and flip with no batting. Two layers of flannel is heavy enough for a "snuggle blankie" and they finish up nicely. I finally figured a coonsistent way to bind by machine and that helps with the time too.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 AM

[/quote]How did you know how many to make....our shelter here will not give out that information of how many children they house.[/quote]

I know the battered women's shelters are very protective of their residents. But I know how many beds they have at the shelter because that was posted on their website. Beyond that, they cannot give any additional information. But I called and said I had around 20 quilts and wanted to know if that was enough for each child to get one for Christmas. The director told me they probably only needed about 15 and any extras they would see that they would be saved for when they were needed. I wanted to give a few extra, because I did not know how many for each gender they needed.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Beautiful thing to do!! You will be blessed for this.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM

How did you know how many to make....our shelter here will not give out that information of how many children they house.[/quote]

I know the battered women's shelters are very protective of their residents. But I know how many beds they have at the shelter because that was posted on their website. Beyond that, they cannot give any additional information. But I called and said I had around 20 quilts and wanted to know if that was enough for each child to get one for Christmas. The director told me they probably only needed about 15 and any extras they would see that they would be saved for when they were needed. I wanted to give a few extra, because I did not know how many for each gender they needed.[/quote]

Thank you for the information.....that is a wonderful thing to do and it must make you feel all warm inside to know you put a smile on a childs face for the holidays.

Thanks again