Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Obsession Confessions >

Fabric Obsession Confessions

Fabric Obsession Confessions

Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Yeesh....I WORK in a fabric store. Way to much to tempt me. I am like a rat in a cheese factory....what to buy next..........
Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 AM

A good way to avoid fabric stores is to re-organize your stash. Or at least it works for me. When I do that and realize how much I actually have, how there's not room to store what I have, and how much simpler my life would be if I didn't have so much, it makes it much easier NOT to buy. However, I'm going to a fabric store today and will probably buy backing for at least one quilt if not two. Oh and a batting. And I'm planning to go to Fat Tuesday in February---where a LQS has all their fats on sale for $1.50 and the person that buys the most wins a prize. (I came in second last year with 68). The first week in June I'll be going to Marshal's Dry Goods in Bateville Arkansas on a MAJOR FART. Probably bring back several hundred dollars worth of fabric but their batiks are usually on sale that week for $2.99 a yard.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:37 AM

I am so blessed. I went to my LQS and the owner is my best friend also. I went to get some Christmas themed fabric even tho I had made up my mind to use my stash,due to the fact in all my quilt making over the years and years,I had never done one in all Christmas fabs. My friend said to me,I have so much of this fabric in my personal stash,Make me a quilt and I will give you enough for your quilt also. whoooooooooooo whoooooooo. I almost have them both cut out and am piecing one of them. I will post pics of it when finished. mERRY CHRISTMAS everyone. JO
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Lucky you, Jo, thats AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 AM

I've tried this "self-imposed ban on buying fabric" for some months now, but it's not working so well. I joke with my husband and friends that it's my civic and patriotic duty as a quilter to participate any time JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics has a big sale, and when JoAnn's sells their Red Tag specials at half price, I really, really can't resist! I like scrappy quilts and most of mine are for charity, so I can use most anything (that's on sale!).
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 AM

I am sure I could have taken several European vacations with the amount of fabric I was bringing home. Then I had a friend come and help me sort through it all. I kept the things I an sure I will do and donated the rest to a school for the mentally challenged. I have need to finish some projects before I get more. It is hard but I feel better - now I need to attack the rest of my house.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 AM

I wish I had a $$ for all the broken promises to myself about purchasing more fabric. it interesting that the justifications for breaking the "promise" really has not changed much. Although this year there is the "cotton is going to go sky high" excuse. Like I needed another justification.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 AM

It is almost impossible for me to pass up a bargain. I can stay out of the regular cloth shops even with a sale for fabric, but can't pass up cloth from the thrift stores.
I have flannel sheets, shower curtains, etc...anything big and cotton and cheap....it usually comes home with me.
I am trying hard to beat my addiction...but not succeeding.
Who can pass up 9 yards for $3????? You know you can make something sometime.
Told my Mom cotton prices were going up...her reply"Don't worry you will have enough to sew until you are my age(81)...another 30 years.

PS send me any addresses of thrift stores you know.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Yeesh....I WORK in a fabric store. Way to much to tempt me. I am like a rat in a cheese factory....what to buy next..........
Carrie Anne, you are CURSED! Be strong! lol
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
I have little to no storage in our motorhome, so have to be careful, but must confess my love of fabric is rearing its head again since I started quilting. Thought I'd conquered it after the kids moved out & didn't need new things all the time. When moving from home to motorhome, you would all have been horrified at the amounts of fabrics, notions, etc. I had stashed everywhere. You could almost hear the house sigh with relief as it was carried away. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do!! With quilting, it's starting all over though. Some is even stacked in the shower & I have to unload it to take the shower & make sure its dry before putting it back! Hubby thinks I need help! LOL
thanks for another storage idea!!!! Love it!!!!