Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
My featherweight box has a very musty smell, as well. How do you get rid of that smell?
Here are several things you can do:
1. Open the case up, remove the machine and give it a good wipe down with a disinfectant like lysol spray. Dry it out and let it sit for a few days before returning machine. In the meantime check to see if the machine has acquired the odor, if it has then you will need to change the inside felt oil drip pad to a new one (find these online easily).

2. If the above does not work, the next steps are to pack the case full of newspaper and place in a hot car trunk for about a week, I have often changed the paper inside every other day when the odor is bad. Since it is not summer, an alternative is hanging one of those work lights inside and letting the heat kill off the micro organisms, however the newspaper ng works well even with out the car trunk, just takes longer if it doesn't get hot.

3. To keep the odor from returning place a new box of opened safeguard (ONLY) soap in the box inside the case and close up the case with deodorized machine, and it will keep the case from getting that awful smell. There are other things to do, but these are the easiest and usually one or a combo of several will do the job. I have probably owned over a hundred featherweights over the years (I sell them)and about half of them had to be de-odorized. :)
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM

I haven't checked my new lady yet to see if the glue job held. I certainly don't to have to try to put screws in that narrow, dry wood. Just checked - it seems to be holding. The new shims feel like they're welded in. That's good. I'll let it set today to make sure the glue dries inside. I may clean some of the gunky dust off the outside of the machine. It is in such good condition.

I was going to ask what is considered vintage, but I found the answer on page 21. That means my 1961-2 Kenmore and my 1974 Elna are both vintage. The Elna doesn't know it. She's such a good girl. The Kenmore had occasional tension problems when it was in use. It hasn't seen the light of day in years. I only kept it for free motion quilting as the Elna's feeds don't drop. I've only done SITD quilting since and the Elna handles that well.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

The other one is a New Home. Does anyone know how to age the New Home? It is a really cool looking machine SS #NHR 114370. It has a double badge on the inside of the arm with the date 1869 like it is some kind of centennial machine or something?

I'll take a couple pictures and post them.

Nancy

Nancy,
I have a New Home treadle made in 1891. Call this number and they can give you the year of manufacture.
1-800-631-0183
Mine is a flat tension, vibrating shuttle, Series A and I was lucky enough to find the manual on Needlebar.
There is a picture of mine on page 466 of this shop.
Judy
Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM

I want to see! That is a great deal with stool too! What is a trapezoid cabinet?[/quote]

I found a link to a webpage that has a picture of the cabinet. Singer called the cabinet a #74 Spinet, made specifically for the Singer 301; currently has a black 301 in it. Only the short bed 301s will fit.
My cabinet is blonde colored but otherwise looks like this one.

http://www.mckennalinn.com/TrapCab.html
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I want to see! That is a great deal with stool too! What is a trapezoid cabinet?
I found a link to a webpage that has a picture of the cabinet. Singer called the cabinet a #74 Spinet, made specifically for the Singer 301; currently has a black 301 in it. Only the short bed 301s will fit.
My cabinet is blonde colored but otherwise looks like this one.

http://www.mckennalinn.com/TrapCab.html[/quote]

Thanks! That is a very interesting cabinet. I haven't seen any of those in my wanderings of CL; guess they get snatched up quickly.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by buslady
My featherweight box has a very musty smell, as well. How do you get rid of that smell?
Here are several things you can do:
1. Open the case up, remove the machine and give it a good wipe down with a disinfectant like lysol spray. Dry it out and let it sit for a few days before returning machine. In the meantime check to see if the machine has acquired the odor, if it has then you will need to change the inside felt oil drip pad to a new one (find these online easily).

2. If the above does not work, the next steps are to pack the case full of newspaper and place in a hot car trunk for about a week, I have often changed the paper inside every other day when the odor is bad. Since it is not summer, an alternative is hanging one of those work lights inside and letting the heat kill off the micro organisms, however the newspaper ng works well even with out the car trunk, just takes longer if it doesn't get hot.

3. To keep the odor from returning place a new box of opened safeguard (ONLY) soap in the box inside the case and close up the case with deodorized machine, and it will keep the case from getting that awful smell. There are other things to do, but these are the easiest and usually one or a combo of several will do the job. I have probably owned over a hundred featherweights over the years (I sell them)and about half of them had to be de-odorized. :)
Why only safeguard? My featherweight case came with a bar of lever 2000 inside and I'm assuming they've kept it in there for years. It's in a ziploc that is not zipped. I like the lever 2000 because it's what dh uses and I'm used to the smell (I'm very sensitive to perfumy smells)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM

I found my lady online. It is, indeed, a 1952 Singer 128-23. The picture is identical, including the shuttle. Not that I doubted you, Billy. It's just that I was sewing by 1952 and I have never seen a shuttle before. The one online is offered at $75 with $35 shipping, so I guess I did okay for $35 and $2 worth of gas. I could have offered less, but it didn't feel right with both adults home knowing that a local manufacturing just teminated 300 employees the day before Thanksgiving.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM

[ The one online is offered at $75 with $35 shipping, so I guess I did okay for $35 and $2 worth of gas. I could have offered less, but it didn't feel right with both adults home knowing that a local manufacturing just teminated 300 employees the day before Thanksgiving.[/quote]

You did very well - my lady is a little older (1949) and I paid almost twice what you paid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-140979.jpe
Views:	262
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	140984  
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM

You did fine. You have attachments - I have none and your case looks much better than mine, though mine may look a little better after I clean and polish it.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I want to see! That is a great deal with stool too! What is a trapezoid cabinet?
Thanks! That is a very interesting cabinet. I haven't seen any of those in my wanderings of CL; guess they get snatched up quickly.
I now where there is one for $50 here in town. This is a rare cabinet and was only offered with the 301A with the shortbed. You can however sit a 500 series machine and the 328K in the hole, just as long as it is the 16 1/2" bed.

Billy