Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations >

Donations

Donations

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM

Barbara, do you have suggestions as to size and fabrics for lap robes. Currently I am making large receiving blankets for a crisis center . They are 36X36 and lined with flannel so nice and cozy.
I think flannel would make a nice lap robe What size do you suggest ?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

What an awesome thing to do! What gratification that must have been! Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Call and ask how many they could use. If they give them to the kids to keep you will have to replenish their supply anyway. At Christmastime last year the animal shelter told me they needed 90! So I made them up. I also went online and contacted Project Linus - they give to the sick kids, poor kids, I made quilts for a group our pastor talked about that were camping behind a dumpster near a big store and lived outside. All those kids were attending regular class schedules, trying to get through until June with grades good enough to get into a community college. Got to reward their fortitude.

My sister sewed as well and made crocheted booties as well as quilts for the babies born to unwed or destitute mothers. One hospital called her and asked if it was okay to bury a baby in one of her layettes because it had been born live but had died shortly thereafter. Of course she was honored and the little baby got its burial which I'm sure meant the world to the mom.My sister used to crochet in excess of 100 pairs of booties per month until she got brain cancer and now has lost the use of her left arm. The Cover Up program gives out baby clothes and quilts to babies of teen mothers, abandoned babies, abused children, and the like. There are a ton online (I just mail mine to Project Linus, but a lot of quilt shops will collect and hold items destined for charity and see to it that Project Linus gets them. Their local contact is listed by area and they are happy to fill you in with any info you need. I've even gotten yarn, material and the like from them, they collect items to finish, a project unstarted and that helps the old pocketbook too.
Lulu's Mama
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn
In the spirit of the season, I took 20 child sized quilts today to a local shelter for abused women and children. They were simple, lap sized quilts, but you would have thought they were made of gold. The staff was so appreciative, it made it all worthwhile. And with that kind of appreciation, they can count on receiving them next year too. It felt so good to be able to give each child a new "blankie" for Christmas! I feel blessed to be able to do it.
This is why I choose to make childrens charity quilts all year round. I know my efforts are appreciated and they aren't choosy about what the color scheme is or if matches someone's decor. :-D
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Isnt it wonderful to know they are truely appreciated? Sometimes I think my family is so used to me making them things that it isnt that special sometimes. You did a wonderful thing and should feel good about it.

Thank you from all of them.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

I've never been able to reach so many and do so much with so little, and I thank God for putting me to work making quilts for his children that need help in this hard, cold, world. I prayed for a long time for a job to do for Him, and this is what happened. I don't drive, so can't go out. I can quilt at home. I love talking about how good the Lord is, and the quilts offer tangible proof that He is everywhere. He heard my prayer to show me how to serve Him, and quilting is it. Really enjoy other like souls who love quilting and look at the whole picture as a gift.
Lulu's Mama
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM

You are proof Angels walk among us. Bless you.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Many thanks for such a sweet thought. Just proves, the elderly can be useful too. I can't even think about the end. Too many quilts yet to do, huh? Ha ha.

Lulu's Mama
Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn
In the spirit of the season, I took 20 child sized quilts today to a local shelter for abused women and children. They were simple, lap sized quilts, but you would have thought they were made of gold. The staff was so appreciative, it made it all worthwhile. And with that kind of appreciation, they can count on receiving them next year too. It felt so good to be able to give each child a new "blankie" for Christmas! I feel blessed to be able to do it.
This is right at the top of my list about why we sew. It's that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you see how much joy you can bring to someone else.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
Hi Barbara, That is wonderful. I know how you feel.
I have been just crocheting as many hours as I can for the last couple of months and letting my things go on the way side just to see how many crocheted hats I can get finished for or donation pot luck.... I am at very close oe over 60 hats for child, and Adult.... We give to 3 different charity's.
We do quilts, clothing , toys, house wares, anything the womens and childresn shelters can use. I feel blessed to be giving too. God Bless you to do more.
ConnieF
Wow, that's alot of hats...blessings to you for all your work!