Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects.... >

Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects....

Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects....

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Congratulations on your new adventure. The first class I took, we made a 9-12 block sampler. Each week we learned basics pertaining to the completion of each block. Started with 9 patch and went from there. Toward the end we had a choice between two different blocks. A simpler one and one for those ready for more advanced blocks. Many took home a finished top to have long armed and some even a finished quilt which they stitched in the ditch themselves. My only problem was choosing fabric to have ready for the first class. It would have been nice to have had one class in choosing fabrics before I had to actually purchase for the whole quilt.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM

My very first class was a log cabin "Quilt in a Day" we started by reviewing tools, machines and patterns then were sent out to shop for the fabrics listed. Taught us alot and ended up making wonderful friends.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM

If I took a beginners class, I would like to learn the basics of making a quilt. This can be done in 9 weeks. A suggested book for the class would be First-Time, Quiltmaking: Learning to quilt in six easy lessons by Becky Johnston, Linda Hungerford. It is a great book. The students would have a completed quilt when they finish the class. In fact, you have given me an idea to go to my local college and offer to teach a class. Hope this can help.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM

I have a friend who teaches quilting classes for beginners, she gives out a survey when they sign up for the class asking them about there experience with sewing and quilting, she also includes a section on what they would like to learn to make
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM

How about postcards? They could be completed in one class.

http://debrichardson.blogspot.com/20...ebr-style.html
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM

I feel that they would like to have something like a lap quilt instead of a potholder,it's just nice to have something that you can cuddle up with.My first and only class we did everything by hand,cut the templates from sandpaper,cut the fabric with sizzors and sewed by hand,but when the class was done I had a 4 block sampler that I hand quilted.Truly enjoyed the whole process.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 AM

Because you dont have any idea who will be showing up it might be nice to bring along with you fabric for the first class,Explain the different kinds of fabric and what there best used for.Some one might not be able to afford a lot of new stuff to start out right.I know for me I felt overwhelmed at the cost of notions you need just to get started.Quilting is not a cheep hobby as we all know,It would be nice to mention the great benefits of quilting and meeting new friends as your doing this.Good luck and Your in my prayers in your great endever.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 AM

Will need sewing experience and how to operate their machine. SOunds silly, but.. you would noy believe.....
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 AM

If I joined a class because I was specifically interested in quilting, I would expect to make at least a small quilt. A sampler would be good to introduce different techniques. I would think you would need to cover basic machine operation, rotary cutting, 1/4 seams and accurate piecing, sandwiching, quilting and binding.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM

has anyone used the batting made from plastic bottles. what are the pros and cons