Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange? >

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM

I purchased a pattern recently and started working with it and realized it had already been used and part of it was missing so I am glad that people can't return them.It was very annoying especially at my expense.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM

i have seen a sign in out LQS that says no returns on Patterns but never knew why, but now i guess i do know
Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 PM

It is common in my experience. Most stores that I know will not take back books and patterns because of the threat of copying material and returning it to get money back. I have many duplicates that I could not return. There are options. You can sell it yourself. You can donate it. You can keep the duplicate like me so you can always find your pattern without spending all day looking for it.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 PM

It happened to me once too and the shop owner knew me well and that made me upset because I think she should have known better. A good customer should deserve better.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
When I got home, I realized that a pattern I had purchased was very similar to a pattern I already have. When I took it back to the shop, the owner said they could not take patterns back because of copyright issues -- someone might copy the pattern and then return it.

Just wondering if this is typical? In many years of purchasing quilt patterns, I believe this is the first time I ever took one back!
I've never heard of it...but makes sense...

:cry: :cry:
Old 12-11-2010, 05:00 PM

It is amazing to me how people try to cheat the system. I would never had guessed you can't bring a quilt pattern back. I will have to be more careful about buying patterns also pattern books. Oh well
Old 12-11-2010, 05:56 PM

When I got home, I realized that a pattern I had purchased was very similar to a pattern I already have. When I took it back to the shop, the owner said they could not take patterns back because of copyright issues -- someone might copy the pattern and then return it.

Just wondering if this is typical? In many years of purchasing quilt patterns, I believe this is the first time I ever took one back!
It is a shame that everyone is not fair and honest. People who rort the system cause all of us to be inconvenienced with price hikes to cover the costs incurred by shop-lifters and for others to question our honesty when we want a fair deal - if it looked like I had not opened it, I think I would still get an exchange or refund here.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Our quilt shop even posts a sign No Returns on Patterns or Books.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM

As an owner of a quilt shop yes it is a normal practice but we do allow our customers to exchange for a different item one time. If they try a second time then I am sorry we cannot do that. It is hard to say if a person used the pattern out of a book, magazine, or even an envelope. So this is to protect everyone, the copyrighted designer, the retailer and the future consumer.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Amazon and Barns and Nobles will let you return books.