Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help to get past just stitching in the ditch! >

Need help to get past just stitching in the ditch!

Need help to get past just stitching in the ditch!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM

I am like you, but the other night I got brave and I am not sure what it is called, shadow quilting? But anyhow, I top stitched 1/4" away from the seam line, I actually really really like this, until I get braver....
Old 12-11-2010, 06:56 PM

I was too afraid to 'ruin' my tops with bad quilting, when a friend asked me to assist her with charity quilts. She was really 'forcing' me to practice,practice,practice. I am now fairly good at it (and still learning). You have to either find charity quilts to practice on, or do small bags and pot holders etc until you become acceptable. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it, and all your fears go away. My moment came when people started to ask me how much I would charge if I would quilt their creations for them. However, the best (for me) was when a lady, whom I consider to be a very good piecer, asked me to quilt her quilt for her...Have courage and I think you will surprise yourself as to how good you can become.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 PM

I have taken two different classes in machine quilting under two different instructors. The tip that worked for me was this: Leave the feed dogs up instead of putting them down. This way, the "teeth" of the feed dogs help to guide you somethat during free motion and makes your stitches more the same size. You still use a free motion foot.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
I'm also new to quilting and get lost with some words. What is Ditch quilting? What does SID stand for? I think I have figured out the rest.
Stitch in the ditch just means to stitch in the furrow that is formed when you join two seams together - so to stitch on the seam line, or very close to it.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
I'm also new to quilting and get lost with some words. What is Ditch quilting? What does SID stand for? I think I have figured out the rest.
Ditch and SID (Stitching In the Ditch) mean doing the actual quilting of the layers together by stitching between quilt top seams, or "in the ditch" where 2 pieces of fabric have been joined.
I was told to slightly pull sideways with each hand (I wear garden gloves, less expensive than quilting gloves, but still have "grip") where 2 fabrics have been joined as the fabric "feeds" under the needle to place your quilting stitches between the rows, aka in the ditch. Then the stitches are barely visible when finished.
I hope my explanation makes sense.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by milikaa1
I am like you, but the other night I got brave and I am not sure what it is called, shadow quilting? But anyhow, I top stitched 1/4" away from the seam line, I actually really really like this, until I get braver....
Good idea - thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions - I will begin with scrap pieces and maybe a pot holder or two, plus like the idea of doodling on paper as well. When I finally FMQ on something larger, I'll let the world know!!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Don't be hard on yourself. Practice and practice more. Eventually everything will come together. Keep on trying.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM

It just takes practice. Check out Leah Day's website and just do the ones you think you can do. You'll be surprised that it's easier than you think it is. I've practiced on Downy quilts. I have a hard time just practicing on scraps and I don't want to wreck my quilts. The Downy kids won't care, and I've never ruined one. It gives me a chance to practice while making something useful. I've done different designs in every square.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Everyone says practice, practice, practice. I say that you have to learn patience along with the practice. I still do not like my stippling and/or meandering, but it looks OK. I'm satisfied enough with it to keep trying. - Cynthia