Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A LIL HELP, PLEASE >

A LIL HELP, PLEASE

A LIL HELP, PLEASE

Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM

I use copy or typing paper. Some times if I am out of copy paper I will use notebook paper. I even use paper that has been copied on one side & the other side is blank. I LOVE paper piecing. I hope that this helps. Nana
Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
you can also use pages from an old phone book...lighter weight than printer paper....and no matter what kind of paper you use, shorten your stitch length a little so that it will be easier to tear out the paper later.
this is how I do it.... love using the old phone books. Free foundation paper and I do also shorten my stitches which do make it easier to tear off the paper. :)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM

I've been paper piecing forever. I've tried several different kinds of paper. I like regular printer paper the best. Using a smaller stitch is a must.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by redpurselady
I use regular copy paper, small stitches and a larger needle.
Which way does the needle # go, to make it bigger. Higher or lower. I've got a 90/12 in my machine right now. Is a 14 bigger or smaller?
The smaller the number the smaller they eye, The smallest I have seen is a 9, and the largest I can find in stores these days is an 18. The 9 would be used on very fine fabrics, and the 18 on very heavy stuff or upholstery. There are specialty needles for just about every thing like embroidery and leather which are good to help you get the most of your machine, Twelves are just a little larger than 11's which is what I use on my embroidery machine, and 14 is an all purpose needle and larger than the 12, etc, but makes a little larger hole. :-D
Old 12-12-2010, 12:54 PM

I go to Lowes or any home improvement store and by a big box of packing paper...they have different ones and I try to get the unbleached paper....you can also check out your local news paper....I have gotten some from them that is light weight and works great in the printer...you have to cut it to fit......good luck....
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM

yes just plain old copy paper. No need to get anything fancy! Have fun ! I love to paper piece !
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Best thng I have found is the paper they roll out on the Dr's exam tables. It is big enough to get just about any size you want, and also thin, so works great for tearing off.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mesissy
Hi all..............can someone make some suggestions on what type of paper i can use for the foundation piecing, please? I want to make a 12 inch block. Any help is appreciated. Cheryl
I use lunch wrap ( un-waxed kind ) some times, I also use it for tracing as well. But I do use typing paper, the best is freezer paper.It holds the fabric you have sewn down when you iron it.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I use a roll of newspaper print, it is around 44" tall :D
You can get them from your local paper, they usually sell these roll ends for a fairly reasonable price :D:D:D
I do the same! Those end rolls are very inexpensive and last almost forever. They also come in different weights so use the thinner ones.