Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it Forward >

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 AM

It really is a wonderful feeling to PIF. Even 2 paople [the giver and the receiver] feeling better is a plus for this sometimes crazy world.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yes, there was a great movie called Pay it Forward. But on the board it's a random thing, meaning that if you got a package you don't have to run out and do the same thing that day, just sometime when you can.
Several members have sent things to others in different styles, one recently was to be sent to someone who wasn't getting a Christmas gift. There are all kinds of ways to do it.
I love this idea but just wonder how you know the address of fellow Board members in order to PIF?

Roberta in Maine where the weather is taking a real turn for the worse, 50mph winds, heavy rains. As we always say, it could be snow

:| :|
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
I didn't see the movie but I did read the book. It's by Catherine Ryan Hyde. The concept is what others have said -- let's say you do something nice for Person A. Instead of Person A paying you back, Person A pays it forward for doing something nice for Person B. And on and on.

Every so often you hear about someone at a toll booth who pays the toll for the car behind, who then pays it forward by paying the toll for the next car, who then pays the toll for the next car. That's a Pay It Forward chain.

Like having a secret santa - but anytime during the year - you feel good someone did something for you, so you do something nice for someone else as a way of passing on that special feeling
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM

Wouldn't it be great if PIF was a concept the Scrooges out there could grasp. If somehow we could have an infleuence on those who have no clue as to what it is all about,
"what a wonderful world it would it be".
I know that is unrealistic, but I am a dreamer and like to see the side of making the impossible possible. And yes quilters do it quite naturally. Aren't we lucky?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM

As a young single mother of 3 kids, I had a really hard time financially, so on a couple occasions, a secret santa would leave gifts for my kids, for me to put under the tree from "Santa". I never knew who this was from, but vowed some day if I was ever in a position to help someone in the same position I would do it. Several years I've been fortunate enough to be able to do it. This year a mother of 5 told her children they would each get something in their stocking on Christmas day, but their "real" Christmas would be in April after she got her tax refund back. Imagine a 4 year old not having a gift under the tree, or an 8 year old going to school after Christmas with nothing to brag about. Our church family has adopted 3 families, 2 with kids, and an elderly couple who have more medicine to buy than funds so they are getting a food box.
When we questioned the first family with 5 kids to see what we could help with the mom said they need winter boots, gloves, hats. Along with those things we decided to give gifts to these kids, also.
I'm so grateful for the help extended to me way back when, that I'm honored to "Pay It Forward"! If you've ever been on the receiving end, you know what I mean.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 AM

I once paid for a fast food breakfast for the lady in the drive thru behind me - the expression on her face was"priceless" I still love the feeling I had that day, and always watch for a next time
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM

I love this concept & have paid it forward many times. always makes the other person have a better day & I have a better day knowing I have helped someone else
Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM

when you grow up in a large family and around other unfortunates you learn early in life to pay it forward. There is always someone who needs a helping hand. You do it on spur of moment without thinking as it comes naturally.
Last week I offered a lady my coat as she was ringing a bell for S Army. Turns out she didn't need it. She had gotten warm and hers was inside the store. But there was the bucket that got money instead.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 PM

One way to PIF is when you are in a restuarant and see an elderly couple eating and you think they only enjoy getting out occasionly, just ask their server to give you their guest ticket and pay for their meal without them knowing it until they start to check out.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Sometimes it's called an RAK...Random Act of Kindness.