Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're my only hope, O..B..W.. >

You're my only hope, O..B..W..

You're my only hope, O..B..W..

Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Okay - am I the only one that remembers the old rusty vans with the flowers decals all over them - Flower power etc
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
I have some perfect 70's fabric it is really from the 70's it is brown with mushrooms on it the mushrooms are orangees,creams,yellows!I can sacrifice a little if you are interested .
This should go very well with sunflowers. And there was not much quilting going on in the 70's. Georgia Bonesteel is the only professional quiltmaker I can think of who was making quilts back then, although I know there are others.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM

The best BOTTOM LINE and SAFE advice I can give is: Stick to low to medium toned flower patterns in browns, with subtle pinks, blues, olive and/or pea greens, and maybe yellows & oange. Think flowers. Stripes were kind of in, also. Things, got flashier and gaudier as 70's progressed. But, remember that in the seventies polyesters, they couldn't produce the beautiful vivid colors that they can now, or that could be produced in cottons and rayons. I see 100% cotton fabrics in stores like JoAnn's & also Walmart that have color schemes that would work, that are inexpensive. Also, tie-die was still very popular. Back then, we tie-died old t-shirts,old work shirts, or muslin, etc. I personally am not a fan of the "peace symbol" that was worn by so many of the persons who were throwing pipe bombs and rocks into the windows of homes and stores of innocent people. This "peace symbol" was also worn by those who spit on military persons returning from active and non-active duty. We all want peace, but for me, that particular symbol does not symbolize "peace" and I would never buy it from any store. For me, it is a symbol of chaos.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Watching the old shows is a good idea. I'm trying to remember what was "big" in the 70's. But can't really remember. I know I had some bright clothes that I'd be mortified to wear today. When was Woodstock?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I don't remember sunflowers when I was growing up in the 70's. It was colorful, bright colors, someone mentioned gold and avacado, that was kitchens.
Colors of the 70's
Bright pinks
orange
green
purple
tie dyed
yellow's
I remember there was a craze at one time in making paper flowers from tissue paper. I made some. Big and bright as far as flowers.
If that sunflower is suppose to represent the 70's it needs some pizzaz.
Clothes did not match back then, tye dyed t shirts and either bell bottoms, elephant legs (wide bell bottoms) afro style hair, no bras..favorite expression "Peace"
45 records
Beatles, Rolling Stones to name a few
but, bright colors,
Best to ask the person that sent you this sunflower, does she want subdued, or mod
I was raising my little ones in the 70's to, I do remember Saturday Night Fever etc., but didn't someone (John Denver or Glen Cambell or someone have a song called "Sunflower" or I could just be having a senior moment here!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Orange and avocado and gold, as well as brown, were the home decorating colors. Just look back in some photo albums. Kitchen canisters had mushrooms on them.
Oh my, I had avocado appliances, orange and avacado teapot wallpaper, and orange cabinets over the avocado washer and dryer. Hiphugger bellbottoms, and knit pant suits.... oh what memories.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM

don't forget tie dye. I remember having a pair of low rise jeans in american flag material.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM

I too, graduated in '76, and though I didn't read the whole thread, this quilt definitely has to be delivered by someone wearing a leisure suit LOL

Whenever I'm in my sewing room, sewing of course, and my son enters, I tell him he has now entered the 70's room, where's his leisure suit? I still have alot of the albums (you know, those big plastic things that contained music) and even a record player and use them sometimes while I'm sewing
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 AM

You just hit on an idea....Applique an "album", or go back to the very early 70's when we still had the "45's". You know,,, with the big hole in the center of the record that played only one or two songs on each side. There were "cb radios" in the 70's.
Another possibility if you do applique is: A small pair of bellbottom jeans. But,,don't forget the holes (especially at the knees) and make sure there are some flowers on them. Embroidered or painted. Wood beads and even ceramic beads were (macrame) were popular.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 AM

I was a child then, but do remember my mom's crafts and sewing.... the zig zag patterns were big then, and of course colors like harvest gold, avacado green, orange, brown. Try a rail fence pattern laid out in zig zag style, done in 'traditional' 70's colors.
Blessings,
MaryAnna