Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Everyone But Me >

Does Everyone But Me

Does Everyone But Me

Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

Becomming lazy. I do wash when I buy used fabric. so now I have a mixed stash. maybe not a good idea.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I used to prewash, but now do not, just one more step I get to skip to get right to the fun part of cutting and putting the quilt together. I too like the feel and look of brand new fabric and when I wash it ,it has more of the hand crafted quilt look, like someone is using it. I like that too. I've not had a problem with bleeding and shrinking doesn't bother me.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Cyn

I go both ways depending on how anxious I am to begin and whether I am willing to wait to wash and dry!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I have to prewash because of the smells. I hate the fraying and loose strings that I have to cut off. There is always some shrinkage sometimes up to an inch. I bought three quilt shop fabrics on Thursday and they all had shrinkage. The Robert Kauffman shrank the least, only 1/2 inch. Sometimes the colors aren't as bright after prewashing if I get the fabric at Joann.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Lazy and proud of it!! The only thing I've pre-washed is flannel, but I always wash and tumble dry the finished quilts once the binding is on.

I blame it on the size of the washers and dryers we use compared to those monster ones you have in America, LOL.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 AM

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Used to always, but I've never had a problem, so it's hard to do all that extra work when it doesn't SEEM necessary...
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I prewash everything and put a little white rag in with dark colours to test for running. For me, it's part of the bonding process with a new fabric and I love ironing it (NOT shirts though! LOL) The only fabric I don't prewash is for stack n whack as the sizing helps it to stack. But I test wash a scrap to see if it runs and if it did (hasn't yet!) I'd put a colourcatcher in when I washed the finished piece. I have had some fabrics run on me, not necessarily cheap ones and not only batiks. A side note - I don't use spray starch when ironing fabric that's going into the stash - apparently it can encourage silver fish. Not quite as bad as Candace's maggot story but bad enough!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 AM

I always pre-wash unless it is a project that is unlikely to be washed. Dark fabrics, even the best quality, can bleed, but also pre-washed fabric is easier to handquilt.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by meme peggy
Does everyone but me wash there fabric when purchased? I buy quilt shop quality fabric and was told by shop in Fla that I use alot that they NEVER washed the fabric before making a quilt with 100%cotton. Would like to know if there is another lazy quilter out there....memepeggy
it is not being lazy. i don't pre-wash either. i use a color catcher when i wash,when it is all done and ready to go out the door.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 AM

Me too. I rarely wash the fabric before putting it in quilt. I do have a project in process,,, very early stages and I did pre wash and press all the fat quarters I am using in this one. But it is a lot of work, and don't know if it will be worth the effort.