Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hell-o from sunny Florida >

Hell-o from sunny Florida

Hell-o from sunny Florida

Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM

my home is in far northern Maine. I really get a kick out of what you southerners consider cold. January is usually our coldest month where chill factors of -60F are known. When the weather reports are given either International Falls, Montana, or Caribou, Maine are the coldest places in the country. This winter has been too mild for us, it got up to +55F today! Green grass in December? unusual for us at this time of the year when we usually are putting on our skiies or skates--after the snow has been cleared from the drive ways. Some times it is very wild. This year, unfortunately, rain has taken away the snow twice, and flooding is a problem. Which is worse? The very deep snows out in the mid-west? Or flooding in December?

We have deep snows here, as much as 200" for the season. Right now we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop. When the snow is coming down as if there is no tomorrow, the wind putting it right back from where I had plowed it, and the temperature reads forty foot below the thermometer, working on quilts makes very good sense.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Hell-O from Bonita Springs , FL
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Hi and welcome from very cold Ft. Myers, FL
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM

Welcome Skeet! I also live in sunny Florida, but it feels more like the Dakotas right now with projected temperatures to dip down to 21 degrees tonight! Wonderful that you have joined your local quilt guild. I joined when I first began quilting 8 yrs ago, and it really helped me to learn all the terms (fat quarter, stitch in the ditch etc.), how to make a good quilt become a great quilt etc. So good that you are retired so that you will have ample time for quilting. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM

This is the best sight in the cyber world! The quilters are awesome ...the ideas are endless and the friendships are priceless!! Welcome! From Naples Florida!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 AM

i'AM from Albion, New York about 40 minutes from Buffalo. Moved to Florida 13 years ago. Was in the the blizzered of 1977 .At that time new baby couldn't get out snowmobles only thing alowed on road. Now I live in ST.Cloud.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM

My last child was due in April, but the doctor told me that she would arrive before then. A huge storm was promised for the end of the week the second weekend of March. The doctor told me that should I not deliver before the weekend, he wanted me to go to the hospital, which is 15 miles away from home, any way, "just in case" He had fears of my pediatrician husband having to deliver me in a snow drift in the middle of busy Route # 1, should I go into labor during the predicted storm. My husband took me to the hospital on Thursday evening just as the storm was beginning.

As luck would have it, I went into labor shortly after admission. Just as suddenly everything shut down. I went to sleep, my husband went home.

During the night my husband got a call at 3:30 AM from the obstetrician in the hospital in another town. He needed help with an emergency C-section. My husband jumped into the car, got mired down in a drift caused by very high winds, and 25" of blowing snow. He called the State Police who gave him the three mile. ride to the hospital. When all was settled, how was he to get home? And, I was in the other hospital!

A friend just happened to be in the hospital where my husband was, gave him a ride home. By this time our neighbor was clearing our drive with his monstrous tractor, and had extricated the car. Again, my husband hopped into the car, and this time could drive off. He arrived just as I was being wheeled into the delivery room. The Obstetrician let him deliver our baby girl!

School had been called off that day, unusual for us. Just below our house there was a massive pile up of cars and 18 wheelers. It took a couple of hours to right every thing and every one.

Oh, how excited I was. I had wanted to go skiing all winter, but could not as my stretch pants were stretched pants! Balance not good, either. As I lay in my bed I dreamed of putting on my skiies and trekking over the barren potato fields for at least a few times before God's version of snow removal took over. I went home 5 days later to find that all of that 25" of snow had completely melted, leaving a muddy quagmire of freshly exposed farm land. Oh, it was ugly. How could anyone even think of growing food on it?

Life in a very rural area is quieter than it is in urban areas, but exciting, filled with all sorts of challenges.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dallison532
My last child was due in April, but the doctor told me that she would arrive before then. A huge storm was promised for the end of the week the second weekend of March. The doctor told me that should I not deliver before the weekend, he wanted me to go to the hospital, which is 15 miles away from home, any way, "just in case" He had fears of my pediatrician husband having to deliver me in a snow drift in the middle of busy Route # 1, should I go into labor during the predicted storm. My husband took me to the hospital on Thursday evening just as the storm was beginning.

As luck would have it, I went into labor shortly after admission. Just as suddenly everything shut down. I went to sleep, my husband went home.

During the night my husband got a call at 3:30 AM from the obstetrician in the hospital in another town. He needed help with an emergency C-section. My husband jumped into the car, got mired down in a drift caused by very high winds, and 25" of blowing snow. He called the State Police who gave him the three mile. ride to the hospital. When all was settled, how was he to get home? And, I was in the other hospital!

A friend just happened to be in the hospital where my husband was, gave him a ride home. By this time our neighbor was clearing our drive with his monstrous tractor, and had extricated the car. Again, my husband hopped into the car, and this time could drive off. He arrived just as I was being wheeled into the delivery room. The Obstetrician let him deliver our baby girl!

School had been called off that day, unusual for us. Just below our house there was a massive pile up of cars and 18 wheelers. It took a couple of hours to right every thing and every one.

Oh, how excited I was. I had wanted to go skiing all winter, but could not as my stretch pants were stretched pants! Balance not good, either. As I lay in my bed I dreamed of putting on my skiies and trekking over the barren potato fields for at least a few times before God's version of snow removal took over. I went home 5 days later to find that all of that 25" of snow had completely melted, leaving a muddy quagmire of freshly exposed farm land. Oh, it was ugly. How could anyone even think of growing food on it?

Life in a very rural area is quieter than it is in urban areas, but exciting, filled with all sorts of challenges.
Loved your story!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Welcome from Maine.
We are snow birds and heading your way for Feb and March. Hope you warm up some! We are on Pine Island in Bookelia.