Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset >

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Dee

WHen upset, I sew and talk the situation over with my baby-sewing machine. Seems to understand and settles me down. Then nothing seems that bad anymore.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM

I am working through health care insuarnce issues with all involved agencies laying the responsibility for the snafu at the doorstep(s) of other involved agencies. One of them is even blaming me. Over Thanksgiving weekend, I got out my Christmas stash and faound 3 coordinating fabrics and made them into a tablerunner. Have finished it. Turned out nicely b/c I was concentrating so hard on carefully cutting and piecing that almost ALL of the points match. I then figured out the reciepient, quilted it, bound it and gave it away. Some of my friends didn't even know I quilted until they saw the runner. The recipient loved it. Bottom line, I do quilt, even cut, when I'm upset b/c I stop thinking about the cesspool I'm in and can find tranquility in doing something creative and beautiful with my fabric. FYI: I also listen to Christmas music, no matter the time of the year, b/c it's joyful and soothing plus meaningful.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM

I can't quilt when I'm angry about something. I just make silly mistakes. I do my best housework when I'm angry about something. Then I can take my frustation out on the dust and dirt.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I can't. For some reason, I would associate that item with the hurt I was feeling and never touch it again. I am weird like that.
I feel like that too :) That means I'm weird as well. I usually have to go for a walk and get some fresh air...but I do get my best cleaning done when i'm irritated/mad/upset. Go figure
Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 PM

cjomomma, suffer from anxiety too, may try using my quilting as a stress relief, I'm more inclined to go outside and weed the garden. Years ago when living on the farm I used to go chop wood, if one particular neighbour came by he would say "okay, who we mad at today"!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM
kbs

Getting deeply involved takes away those feeling. Use it a lot.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Coming to this site daily is a form of therapy for me ... it's frequently more satisfying than dealing with the sewing machine that for some reason makes too many mistakes !!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM

NOPE...I DON'T MESS WITH SHARP OBJECTS WHEN I'M ANGRY, MUCH LESS QUILT. I WAIT TIL THE STORM PASSES.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Cool! I'm not the only one who quilts when upset. Sometimes I feel like the odd man out with my video game and heavy metal inspired quilt ideas so it feels good when I do find a common ground with other quilters.

And I knew I wasn't the only one who had a boyfriend who turned out to be a real jerk (again, not the wording I'd use. lol) and tried to make me out to be the devil itself, but its good to hear other stories about moving on from crappy relationships.

I'm so glad I never finished that t-shirt quilt I was making for that jerk! Even worse if he actually got it! But I also like the band featured on those shirts (they're my favorite band!) so it will now be a quilt for ME! I've never actually gotten around to quilting anything for myself.
Good for you! Every quilter deserves a "Me" quilt at some time. (Mine is upstairs...sandwiched, but not quilted...yet. I hope to get at it soon.)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
mim

I can tell what my mood was -- even ten years ago by looking at my stitches. And surprisingly -- I can remember where I was and why I was upset if the quilt has different block patterns.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that I also remember the good times, too.

Mim.

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Does anyone here quilt when they're angry, hurt, or upset (when those feelings aren't caused by actual quilting)? Perhaps seeing a finished block you pieced gives you enough joy to not worry what's bugging you. Or maybe cutting fabric with the rotary cutter (with new blades) gives just a little bit more satisfaction while doing it when you're ticked at somebody or about something.