Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations >

Donations

Donations

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by swizzy
Barbara, do you have suggestions as to size and fabrics for lap robes. Currently I am making large receiving blankets for a crisis center . They are 36X36 and lined with flannel so nice and cozy.
I think flannel would make a nice lap robe What size do you suggest ?
My children's quilts are either 36 x 44 or 44 x 60... that way I don't have to piece backings and a 45 inch batting off the roll can be cut without any waste. I use both flannel and cotton, whatever I have. If you do a stitch and flip with flannel, you don't really need batting. And with a flannel stitch and flip, I don't even wash the fabric first, since it shrinks consistently with no batting.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 AM

Someone here posted a link to Quiltsforkids.org, a link that Downy has partnered with hospitals and organizations that help children in need. I had never heard of it but I responded to it and am making my first quilt for them. I found out that one of the major hospitals in the loop is about 30 miles from me - Children's Hospital in Little Rock, AR. If I want I can join the group there and all my little quilts will go to them. I was so excited when my first kit came. I can't tell you the feeling. And, the kit is already precut, all I have to do is sew it up, provide the batt and backing and send it back. They also accept any child's quilt I may have on hand or am willing to make. I'm not sure I want to join any group as yet. I think I want God to send my small contributions in the direction He wants them to go. Does that make sense?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 PM

I am doing two for Quilts for Kids--right after Xmas--too much to finish right now---
I make as many as I can for various organizations,usually about 35-50 per year,
Many people give me fabric, so that helps....
My biggest problem at the moment is that I did not read the rules carefully enough---Quilts for Kids wants them machine quilted.
My good sewing machine just died--anyone out there that would MQ these 2 when they are finished?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Yes, the instructions I got said to machine piece and quilt closely with low loft batt because they have to be washed and dried every day. They must be sturdy enough to withstand that.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Banned

BLESS YOU.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM

God love ya! I too am donating 10 quilts to children in need locally this Saturday. I always say that as much as these quilts help to enrich these children's lives, making them has enriched my life tenfold. I'm sure you feel the same. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM

You did the Christmas Spirit proud, GOD BLESS!!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn
In the spirit of the season, I took 20 child sized quilts today to a local shelter for abused women and children. They were simple, lap sized quilts, but you would have thought they were made of gold. The staff was so appreciative, it made it all worthwhile. And with that kind of appreciation, they can count on receiving them next year too. It felt so good to be able to give each child a new "blankie" for Christmas! I feel blessed to be able to do it.
God Bless you! This is a wonderful place to share your gifts. I have a question, how did you find out where the place is located. I would think we have one in my area, but I have no idea how to go about locating it. Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Originally Posted by barbrdunn
In the spirit of the season, I took 20 child sized quilts today to a local shelter for abused women and children. They were simple, lap sized quilts, but you would have thought they were made of gold. The staff was so appreciative, it made it all worthwhile. And with that kind of appreciation, they can count on receiving them next year too. It felt so good to be able to give each child a new "blankie" for Christmas! I feel blessed to be able to do it.
God Bless you! This is a wonderful place to share your gifts. I have a question, how did you find out where the place is located. I would think we have one in my area, but I have no idea how to go about locating it. Any suggestions?
Our local battered women's shelter is pretty well know in our community, but I bet any of the local churches, police stations or local social services agencies could direct you.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BethD
God love ya! I too am donating 10 quilts to children in need locally this Saturday. I always say that as much as these quilts help to enrich these children's lives, making them has enriched my life tenfold. I'm sure you feel the same. Keep up the good work.
I don't know which I like more....quilting or giving to those who are in need. I feel their smiles which enriches my day. In the long run, I am the big winner and so thankful I can help others. Thanks for your kind words. Lulu's Mama