Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt >

Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 AM

I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread. The bear analogy hit right on. I had to laugh and cheer when I read that.I guess many of us really do underestimate our own worth.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM

This sounds similar to my estranged 70 yr old uncle & his wife. I had not seen or heard from this uncle in 40+ years since he left our city when LBJ (US president) close our AFB & he moved to California AFB. He's moved back south, just 30 miles from me. He & his bride asked me to give them a price on a quilt. I told them at this time I only quilt for myself & trying to hone my skills. (I was not confident enough yet to sell any quilts.) I did refer him to a few websites that I thought were fair w/their prices, also eBay & told him to check out some Amish quilts in an authentic Amish community.

He checked these out and got back with me and I quote:
"They want way too much for those quilts." (That from a man you is resting on a 40 year pension from the air force!)
Thank God I did not commit to make a quilt for him. He has not communicated with me since.

This is how the rich gets richer - they don't spend any of it!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Good for you; stick by your guns!!People don't realize the time, energy, planning that goes into a quilt.
He can afford it, I bet, but just wants it cheaper. I will be that like $1200 for a king size, but that might be under the real price.
Mariah
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Ditto what Jan in VA said. Great calculating. If he gives you a quilt to handstitch I charge a penny a sq ft. COmes out about the same. Great pricing. He won't be happy no matter what you do. Refer him to someone else nad let him see the prices. Some people just don't understand.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Wow! this hits close to home - I've been selecting fabrics and trying to come up with a pattern for my son's quilt. He recently got married and after suffering through all the selection and everything else I clearly could have gone to say Branson and purchased one cheaper but not nearly as pretty! People just don't understand how much it all costs. Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Oh girl, $650 for a king quilt is a steal! He probably would have never been happy with it. I agree with another posting - he should get quotes from quilters from the LQS.

I wouldn't make him one either.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM

A hand quilted, fussy cut, king sized quilt..........priceless.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
A friend that works with dh wanted to know how much it would cost to make a king sized quilt for a friend of his that is getting married. I did the math and came up with the price of $650.

He also wanted a fancy center and I told him that would probably add more money for this quilt. It was going to be hand quilted.

Well, he said, "that is not doable". Really? I think he wanted me to drop the price to like $200! Hello?!

I explained that the fabric alone would cost a lot more than that, plus batting, thread and backing. I tried to explain to him the costs of fabric and the increase in all material. Plus, my time hand quilting it should be worth something!

Needless to say, he wants something much smaller! I really don't think I want to make anything for him. He seems to think I am over charging.

But, he is an advid hunter and thinks nothing of spending big bucks on equipment to go hunting with!

What is wrong with people?! LOL
I think so often that hand work is not appreciated for the value. This fella will probably not be happy. RUN!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Tell him if he wants a cheap quilt to go to a discount store!
Had the same problem when I made afghans. The people I made them for thought as long as it was a "hobby" I should not charge for anything more than just the yarn.
Excuse Me. Prostitutes get paid why can't I?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM

He doesn't understand what he is asking of you. If he thinks you are overcharging...let him :|

Given his reaction to your $650 price, which I think is more than reasonable (in fact, your price is too low) for a hand-quilted king size quilt, I would be reluctant to make anything for him.

I think you may have dodged a bullet.