Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-15-2010, 05:27 PM

I had a rowenta & bought it back you have to use distilled water or it will leak. I have a europro it is a steam machine & iron I love it . It was costly but it is will worth it I do ironing for people & the cloths look like they were done at the cleaners . a good iron will cost about $50
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM

I hate auto shut off!!! do they even make irons anymore without it? Any iron would be fine without auto shut-off.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM

You do ironing for people!!!!!
Do you live near me???? :-D
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM

I purchased a new Rowenta at a consignment store for $30. I have been very happy with it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM

I have had several Rowenta irons and have been pleased with all of them. Mine do not have the teflon sole plate; I prefer the stainless steel, and it glides the fabric like butter. The ones I bought are the lower end of their line such as the Press and Sew and and a couple models up, not their professional series. I do not often use it for steaming. I have a steamer if I need to do much of that. I also found one in perfect shape at The Salvation Army and another at a retirement home yard sale, so you can sometimes run upon a good one without paying a lot. I buy them for a sewing/quilting group at the church. The ladies love using the Rowenta irons, so when I run across one at a good price, I usually get it.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM

I just recently purchased one and I love it.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Bought a used Rowenta, loved the stainless steel finish, but after awhile had water leakage problems and then had problems with the auto shut off. Bought a new (pre-owned) cordless Oreck, and like it so far. It heats up quickly and I like not getting caught in the cord. As I'm shifting my fabric I put it back on the base to reheat and it works well for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM

I've had an alterations business for 35 years and used to go through an iron a year until I bought a Rowenta. They have lasted the best and I have been very pleased with the ones I have bought.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Several years ago I bought the Rowenta Professional iron. I only paid $50 for it because it was on sale for half price and I had a 50% coupon that I was able to use as well. That iron leaked from day one and just stopped working one day. Bought a cheaper model after that and had the same problem with leaking. I am currently using a Hamilton Beach, which is heavy, and no leaking.

Midwestqltr
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM

All I can tell you is that I bought a Rowenta Autosteam that was on sale at Joanns the day after Thanksgiving and I'm taking it back. Hope they take it without the box cuz I thought I'd like it and threw it away but I do have the receipt.

The on light never worked and the iron was on all night last night. grrrr ... if the light worked I would have seen it in the dark when I turned off the light. I've read and heard people say they don't like the auto-turnoff on their irons. This one doesn't have it but after last night's mistake, I wish it did, at least it wouldn't have been on all night long.

This morning I wanted to iron a blouse to wear and it wouldn't heat up enough to really iron it good, I couldn't wear it. I don't know if it being on all night did something but I've only used the iron about a week. My old, very old iron (only the 2nd one in over 39 yrs) worked for a long long time and still works but the heat on it wasn't as hot as it used to be either. So this Rowenta is a lemon OR ....

Today my friend said that she used to own Rowenta and it lasted for years but not anymore and now she just buys a Black and Decker and figures she'll replace it each year rather than pay big bucks for an iron with a big brand name that doesn't pay for itself in the long run.

my 2 cents.