Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP ME TEACH >

HELP ME TEACH

HELP ME TEACH

Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM

I had my two grandchildren make log cabin square pot holders cause there mom said she needed more trivets or hot pads to set hot pots and pans on. I had many strips of all cotton different colors 1 1/2'' already cut in a basket and they picked out what they wanted started in. They are 8 and 11 now but both grew up on my lap while I was sewing garments for them and for a childrens center. To this day they will come over and help make lounge pants and doll blankets etc for the little kids at the centers. They can now free motion quilt much better than I can. Of course they don't tense up worrying they will ruin something. I have 2 machines so they can work at the same time. It is so much fun! Enjoy.

Suzy
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM

After she has mastered what the machine does and how it works and how you keep your hands away from the needle, then let her sew blocks together and make a small quilt and teach her how to hand quilt it.... I did that with the girls next door, they were 9 and 15 at the time..
Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 PM

All good advice. Also have her sew with an unthreaded machine on lined paper to practice sewing straight seams.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Pot holders are a great start too. Nine patch is good to start with strip quilting thrown in. Make theme pot holders. They love them.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My youngest student is 10. She was having a real problem keeping her seams even until I asked her what she was looking at. When she said the needle. I explained how all the needle does it go up and down. Then she was able to control her seams better. Felt like a real break though with her.
Funny how we all want to stare at the needle... I tell the students at school that the needle isn't going to move so no need to look at it...look at the fabric and the seam...then it becomes a piece of cake..
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I teach new sewers of any age string piecing as there are no mistakes.
Strip is an excellent idea ! gives her the feel of the machine, how to keep it in line, etc. but she still will have something concrete to show for her time.
remember you can place another square the same size on top RST. mark a diagonal line so you are going across the stripes. sew 1/4" each side of this line. cut on line.
Presto !! you have two blocks.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 PM

I have been working with both of my granddaughters. I bought them both machines. I started by cutting them squares and let them practice sewing them together, just to get the feel of sewing and trying to make consistant 1/4 inch machines. I used my new accuquilt cutter to cut out squares and my younghest one (she's in 2nd grade) sewed them together to make an apron. The pattern came in a book of patterns that came with the accuquilt cutter. She really did a good job, first sewing two squares together and then putting the pairs together. When it came to putting the strips of squares together, I pinned them for her, but she sewed them together. I cut and pressed the ties and neck ties and she sewed a fancy stitch that came with her machine. I cut her a lining and pinned it together with the ties inserted and she sewed it around the edges. I sat by her on this last step of sewing, helping her to turn around the curves. I cut out some Christmas items with fusing on the back for the green side and some girly items for the lining side, we decided how to place them and I ironed them on. It's fun teaching them to sew, it's a lost cause at them learning in school, so we must pass on this knowledge. Have fun!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM

I taught my GD to sew at about 7. First we sat side by side. She was not allowed to rotary cut because I was fond of her body parts. She did pick the patterns and we sized them for her American Girl 18" dolls. Once she got the 1/4" seam she was off. It wasn't long before she was all by herself. I peeked in from the doorway. If something happened out of the ordinary she was quick to call me. So we just kept getting harder on the projects. Now she likes to design her Halloween costume and allow me to help!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM

What are Charm squares?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM

What are charm squares?