Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid-long arm machines and frames >

Mid-long arm machines and frames

Mid-long arm machines and frames

Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Normabeth,
If you have the basic understanding of adjusting and using a domestic machine you should be able to learn how to use a mid-arm. There is a learning curve to them, and doing the quilting on a frame is a task as well. I'd say within 6 months of practicing you should be doing a pretty good job of it. You'll have days when the thread will break or the tension will be messed up but you'll get it if you stick with it. I love my Bailey Home Quilter, and think it's a great mid-arm. PM me for more info on them.

Desertdebbe
Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM

I put my new Janome Horizon 7700 on my Inspira frame. Now, take into consideration that Janome says it doesn't "do" framework. Well, in my house it does.
I had to take the handlebars off to get the machine onto the carriage, but once it was on i could remount the handles. It was just 1/2" too wide to fit through.
I bought a Grace cruise control compatible with it. That took a bit of research to find out what was compatible, but I got 'er done.
The machine works like a gem!
Most of the bumps and hassles of starting with frame quilting are the learning curve of frame quilting, not so much the machine. There is a totally different technique and feel to frame quilting.
Broken threads and needles and skipped stitches and tension issues are just part of the curve. And some machines just like a different thread than others. It's trial and error to find the right combination for you.
If you stick to it, try new things, and practise until your arms fall off, you will see your quilting improve.
My key advice would be to stay relaxed. When you feel your shoulders getting close to your ears, stretch! LOL
There is also a Yahoo group for home quilting systems which is a treasure house of problem solving for frame quilters.