Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Cyn

I knew exactly what they were!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

I was wondering about those awhile back!!! I would love to find one for myself...
Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Sure do remember, used to sprinkle the clothes, then put them in the fridge if you couldn't iron them right away.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM

My Mom called me from Michigan this morning and I asked her if she still had her clothes sprinklers like yours. She said "Oh my, I haven't thought of those in years" and said she would look for them. She is eightyseven years old and saves almost everything. She went on the tell me she was taught by her Mom how to do the ironing and that they used those sprinklers. I remembered them from when I was little and learning to iron. Thank you so much for the fond memories for both my Mom and me. :)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 AM

Yes I am old enough to know a sprinkler top for a bottle used to sprinkle clothes. Sprinkled many loads of laundry to prepare it for ironing. Then putting the clothes in the refrigerator so the water would spread out and dampen the cloth better. Still have one of my mother's. We used an empty beer bottle.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 AM

Yes, My Grandmother, Mother and "I" used them. I wish I had one now. Thanks for the memory.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.
Absolutely! I remember it being my job to sprinkle the clothes. When I started learning to iron, I began with my dad's big hankies. Mother always used an empty Coke bottle.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dewie45
Originally Posted by Sarah
Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.
Absolutely! I remember it being my job to sprinkle the clothes. When I started learning to iron, I began with my dad's big hankies. Mother always used an empty Coke bottle.
I loved mine. I still have mine. I remember sprinkling on the kitchen table, rolling them all up (the correct way to roll up sprinkled clothes, of course), putting them in a pillow case and setting them outside to freeze. The best ironing was on a frozen blouse!!!!! Or hankie! Those are the things you blow your nose with and are made out of cloth. Can you imagine that hankie going through the white clothes - Gross. Never thought about that before!

Here's an old one - How about the tall plastic container you filled with water and Hi-Lex and after you got through dipping the dirty diaper in the toilet you dropped it in the water. Come time to wash diapers, you would stick your hand in the container and pulled out a wet diaper, wring it out, set it aside and when the container was empty, you would put the wrung out dirty diapers back in,throw the dirty water down the toilet, take them to the basement, wash them again in soap and Hi-Lex and hang them out on the line. The most beautiful sight in the world. And the best thing of all was folding them into the traditional diaper shape, put them all in a pile and put them away. I never diapered a baby with cloth diapers after that. They were all disposable. I am so very happy that I had that part of my life - putting on, changing, soaking, etc. I folded diapers outside watching our son play in the yard, I folded diapers in the living room while he was playing on the floor and I folded diapers on our bed while he was taking a nap.

No, I didn't sprinkle them and iron them. Kids are missing so much today, aren't they? I still iron hankies, dish towels, napkins and table cloths. And whatever I see that needs ironing I do so. Have a nice day. Edie
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 AM

I agree with all your comments. The best smell in the world was diapers after they came off the clothes line. No disposable when I had children, but i am glad for the experience of the clean outdoor smell.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by maryquartapella
I agree with all your comments. The best smell in the world was diapers after they came off the clothes line. No disposable when I had children, but i am glad for the experience of the clean outdoor smell.
I truly miss those days - I think we worked harder, but it didn't seem as hard - perchance we are a tad older? Naw!!!!!!

Edie