Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Procrastinating.... >

Procrastinating....

Procrastinating....

Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 PM

okay I must be weird. binding is my favorite part. when I am finished I am done with the whole quilt......
Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
I have no problems doing it. I normally sew the front, and then hand sew the back, but I really just want to finish these, and if it looks "okay" with machine sewn, front AND BACK... will i feel like I am cheating my recipient with less than perfect work??... ha ha :)
Sorry, in advance, I am NEVER happy with my results when I machine bind on both sides. Some people can seem to do it fine. Not me! I have the same problem. I have 5 to bind in waiting. I am a new LA owner and think I have just run into a major hurdle to quilt completions. Yuck!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM

Beautiful quilts! That is a lot of binding...

I have been sewing binding to the back of the quilt, and using some of the embroidery stitches on my old style Bernina 830 to sew the binding down on the front. I like the way it comes out. I also use Elmer's glue and iron the binding down on the front before sewing. I got an Elmer's glue dual tip pen at Target for about $2.00 and just love it! It only takes the thinnest line to keep the binding in place and it washes out.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM

very pretty quilts
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

If we lived closer, I would bind them for you. That is my favorite part of the quilting process. Just so relaxing and knowing within a short time I have another quilt completely finished.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 PM

A long time ago I bought a small gadget that was supposed to simplify and ease the binding by machine both sides at the same time. I fiddled with that thing until my eyes crossed & tried it over & again. Finally I just decided to heck with it and I worked out a way to machine stitch bindings that is durable and most of the time nice looking. Here goes: Sew the binding to the backside of the quilt on the machine first. Then choose a nice decorative stitch on your machine (my favorite is what we used to call "chicken scratch" actually similar to a herringbone stitch), fold the binding over to the front of the quilt and keeping the folded edge as close to the line of stitching from the first stitching (?) take it away with your decorative stitch. It actually covers any little boo-boo's and is so much faster than hand work & for charity quilts/quilts that will be heavily used, it's the only way I do it now. Like FMQ all it takes is practice!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 PM
alimaui

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
If we lived closer, I would bind them for you. That is my favorite part of the quilting process. Just so relaxing and knowing within a short time I have another quilt completely finished.
I have a spare room....and I live in Florida!! Would love to have a "grandma" around!

I don't mind the binding so much, its just when I have so much, and so few days left, lol. I really need to finish everything up by Sunday as MOnday is when we start our traveling, and I was hoping to mail by then.

Status UPDATE:

Binding has been sewn to the front of all three.

Hand sewing About 1/3 of the way around the biggest one so far!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 PM

I always machine stitch the front on. I then can sit at the kitchen or dining room table or whatever and hand stitch the back down. I stop all the time when I change thread to take a break. Take breaks often - but you need to start thinking of the binding as the beautiful finish. It's just a UFO until that binding is done. The major feeling of pride for me doesn't come until the binding is finished and that's when I smile. You can do it. It's sooooo worth it.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

If you don't need them right away to be finished then I would wait until you feel like doing them and in spirts if you need to, just don't put them away where you cann't see them to remind you.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM

What do you mean by hair clips?