Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM

That was Mrs. STewart's Bluing - Believe it - I have a bottle of it in my basement by my washing (just decoration - but I finished the bottle). We also had a Maytag wringer washer and got my arm caught in the wringer. NO FUN! Edie[/quote]

I remember Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, and I loved how it whitened the whites.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM

That was Mrs. STewart's Bluing - Believe it - I have a bottle of it in my basement by my washing (just decoration - but I finished the bottle). We also had a Maytag wringer washer and got my arm caught in the wringer. NO FUN! Edie[/quote]

If you go to this link, you can see where Mrs Stewart's Bluing is sold. It may be sold near you.
http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/wheretofind.htm
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM

My mom and nana both used those in the top of a plastic bottle for sprinkling clothes before ironing them! I haven't seen one in many years.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 PM

I sure do. I lived with my grandmother and spent a lot of time sprinkling and rolling clothes for me to iron the next day. There have been times when I have wished for one. Just for that. Well fabric not clothes. ;-)

I also remember a wringer washer. My grandmother didn't believe in a regular washer because she said it used too much water and a dryer used too much electricity. So I washed 5 kids clothes in a wringer every Saturday. Broke a few buttons and got my fingers wrung a few times. I remember hanging clothes outside on really cold days. Swore I would never do that again and I haven't .
Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
pal

I used that when first married.

Anyone remember the wooden curtain stretcher with all of the little nails all around. What the heck were those curtains made out of - netting? I think they were usually priscilla curtains, and they couldn't be ironed. Hope I'm not the only one who remembers them!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes, my grandmother had one when I was young.I think I may have even used it a time or two just playing with it.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 PM

I remember USING those sprinklers!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Oh boy do I remember those. We had a family of 7 and my mother, bless her soul, used to iron everything. We even had a mangle to iron the sheets. She used to say if you slept on wrinkles they would show on your face. Silly but we believed her.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM

My grandma had a fish and chip cafe near a high school and used them for sprinkling vinegar from a pop bottle on the fish and chips. Mom and grandma also used them for ironing. I found some plastic ones a few years ago in a kitchen shop (I think) that you could screw on a pop bottle. I still keep a bottle of vinegar with a srinkler top in my fridge.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Yes, I used to sprinkle down my dad's khaki pants with those as they were attached to an RC or Coke bottle filled with water. Then my mom would put them in the freezer for a while and then stretch the pants legs on stretcher frames to dry so they weren't so hard to iron. Wow, those were the days. I would love to have one of those if I could find some somewhere.