Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Sarah
Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.
I remember bags of rolled up laundry in the fridge. :-D
I am just flippin out right now!! My mom and I were just talking about this yesterday. I'm almost 38 and for the first time ever she was telling me about putting the clothes in the fridge! I told her she was making it up but she said it was true!! I told her that if my DH came home and found laundry in the fridge he would have me put in a padded room!!! ROTFLMAO!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Ironing sprinklers but they also make very good flare-up stoppers for the BBQ
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Yep. My mama had one of those too. I used them to sprinkle and roll the clothes to be ironed, put them in a basket and she would take them out and iron. The rolling created a slightly damp garment and they ironed real smooth.

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
They were my mother's and a small memento that I kept of hers. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time and I remember her using them.

Of course, Nosey over here had to come and check it out.
Those are sprinklers for ironing clothing. It went in a Coke bottle that was filled with water. I recall using them as a child of about 8 or 9 at Grandma's when I was helping with the ironing.
Thanks for the memory, Grandma Ruth has been gone a long time; I sure miss her.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 PM

My iron has a cloth cord but I didn't think it was that old. Maybe 20 or so years. It is really heavy.

Yep, yep. I have her old iron too with the cloth cord. :)
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 AM

We used a glass ketchup bottle out on the farm where I grew up and I had to do the ironing on Sat. morning!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
do you girls also remember useing SUGAR in water to stiffen petty coats so your skirts stood out in a circle. haha... worked good till the weather was hot. ahhh sticky sugar... back then girls were not allowed to wear pants of any kind to school (where I lived) all dresses and skirts. hmmm yes. things sure have changed.
Holy Cats - we used to spray the crinolines we wore - I just remembered that! How about argyle knee-highs? How about collars? How about the sweater with the matching cardigan, how bout navy blue and mint green combination, (Oh, I am loaded)! Bobbie Brooks blouses! The blue gym suits with the attached pantaloons with elastic on the hem of the pantaloons (short shorts attached to the gym suits), having to take a group shower after gym class and you were exceedingly shy (me). I am a product of the 50's. I graduated high school in 1956. I had a 1950 Studebaker Champion. (After I graduated, of course). Yes, and I remember no pants - always a skirt or jumper. I remember I had a purple jumper and a gold blouse with a white collar. I remember one of my prize possessions (I still have it) was a hand crocheted collar with ribbons to slide through the top and tie the bow at my neck to wear over a sweater. My grandmother made it for me. I don't think there ever was or ever will be a better time to grow up than in the 50's! Edie
Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 AM

Yes, I'm old enough to remember them! My mother used to sprinkle our clothes with them, then they went in to the "Frigidare" until she had the time to iron them. Yuck! I hate to iron!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
Check out:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Clothes+Sprinklers. Couldn't find a current source in a quick google search!
Those are so neat. I never knew about the animal shaped bottles. I love those especially the cat. just don't like it $115. worth. :-)
Old 12-18-2010, 05:05 AM

They were my mother's and a small memento that I kept of hers. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time and I remember her using them.

Of course, Nosey over here had to come and check it out.
Yes, I know, mama had a 7 Up bottle she used one in to sprinkle the ironing.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.
Did you live at my house too? That is exactly what my mom did.