Organizing your stash

Organizing your stash

Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 AM

I sort mine by colors and then shelf them. If I have a
particuclar quilt to make or plan to make I put the
materials together. Works for me.

dude
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Just cleaned out my stash yesterday...I sorted by yards, then by large pieces, folded and stacked into my cupboard.
Then the cut pieces I sorted by size, 3" cuts, 4"cuts, etc.
These are in separate small boxes. Lengths are all together - from 6" x 4" wide to as long as they are. I have two large pieces I am saving for backing which are at the bottom of the cupboard. I dont have a lot of space, but now that it is all organized, it looks better and it is easier to find what I am looking for.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 AM

I use decorative boxes - Joann's and Tuesday Morning sell them as well as other stores. They have lids that lift up. They are on shelves. These hold all the small (1/2 yd or less) pieces. They are sorted by small print then large print. Then by color. I do a lot of applique so this works best for me.

The larger fabrics are larger boxes. I label the boxes too. The only problem is that I can't see in the boxes, but I have learned what holds what - most of the time.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM

My stash is assorted by color. With a separate section for childrens prints, and solids. And I have a separate section for my tone on tone for background fabrics. I think separating by color is the best for pulling fabrics when you are starting a new project. Strore your fabric away from sunlight and in away so the fabric can breath. :thumbup:
Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I sort differently, what ever works for you :wink:
I have batiks, seasonal, tonal/blenders, prints, juvenile, etc... this system works better for me than just by color :D:D:D
Me too! And I also like to put pieces together that I think look nice together and may use in a project later.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Right now what works for me is sorting by color which can be difficult sometimes. I also have a bin of fabrics that I call my "jungle prints" and one for the "kids prints" and then one for "Early American" and "Country".
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Wow So many ideas, my head is spinning. thanks so much I have lots to choose from . Rita
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM

i sort mine by color mostly,tho i try to keep certain fabrics that were bought for specific projects together so i dont use them for something else!:)
i also buy more than enough for projects so i have scraps left over for another quilt later.i recently made a quilt for myself-have quilted for 40 yrs and didnt have one of my own-made out of scraps from many other quilts i have made.didnt have any $ in it at all.in the process of sorting all fabric into a huge cupboard bought especially for my fabric.congrats on being a new quilter! it's a great hobby.....
Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 AM

You can do what works best for your way of thinking/designing. Mine are by color. I like it because I can see at a glance what colors I have too much of, and what colors I'm needing more of. I tend to end up with tons of blue and none of orange. That way when I go into a fabric store with nothing in mind, I know not to buy certain colors and look for the ones I need.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM

The corrugated plastic signboard is available in 4'X 8' sheets at the big hardware stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Rona etc. I can get 48 out of one sheet for about $20 Can.
That works out pretty good in my book.
Now if I would just spend the time to get all my fabrics ONTO them. :)