Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Yes, I remember these. Speaking of ironing, my DIL's and some of my friends don't iron. How do they get by with this. I've tried not to iron but just can't go there.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
I can add a little more infor to this post.
I remember my Grandmother AND my mother washing clothes in a Maytag wringer washer. Then after washing, they'd rinse in water that had "bluing" in it to make the clothes extra white. After that, the clothing, like shirts, they wanted to be ironed stiff, they'd dip into a mixture of liquid starch and water. They'd be wrung out and put on the line to dry. After completely drying, they'd sprinkle the clothes down with a bottle and one of these sprinkler cork tops, roll them up and put them in a plastic bag with a zipper top. They'd stay in the refrigerator overnight and be ironed the next day. Those dress shirts of my Grandpa's would be so stiff, they could stand on their own.
What wonderful memories this inspired. Thanks for sharing!
That was Mrs. STewart's Bluing - Believe it - I have a bottle of it in my basement by my washing (just decoration - but I finished the bottle). We also had a Maytag wringer washer and got my arm caught in the wringer. NO FUN! Edie
I have a bottle of Mrs. Stuarts bluing also, one with label still on it and one without the label. I have the old clothespins,(just one piece) not with the spring . I also have the glass rub board, and a metal one.
Two of the white enamel dishpans with the red trim in the laundry room hanging up also. Will post pics when I learn how.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Ida

Oh yes, do I remember pants stretchers. I had four brothers and absolutely hated ironing their jeans. Yes, we sprinkled them, rolled them up to even out the moisture, then ironed and ironed and ironed. EVERYTHING! Even my dad and brothers' tee shirts! I was so happy when polyester came out! Yuck now, but oh the memories!
Originally Posted by bakermom
My mom also had plastic bag wit a zipper the sprinkled clothes went in until they were damp enought to iron. It was fun to sprinkle the clothes-not so much fun to iron them. Especially dad's heavy work clothes. anyone remember "pants stretchers"? those metal frames you slide into men's pants to make the crease?? they are still hanging there in mom's basement.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM

I have 2 pairs of pant stretchers that I still use! And I remember my mother washing clothes on a "rub-board". I also remember when we moved to a larger (small) town and going to the steam laundry and using a washer, a tub with bleach in it, and I think, 2 other tubs that had clear water for rinsing. Some of the 'good old days' were good and some weren't! What memories this subject is stirring up for all of us "older adults".
Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM

My mother's sprinkler (I used it many, many times)was on a Bubble Up bottle. And yes, I remember brown bleach bottles, I meant I remember my mom telling me about them, heheheh. A walk down memory lane. Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM

When I was little, my dad worked, Mom stayed home withthe kids, and made some extra money by ironing for a nurse around the corner. That's back when nurses wore pressed white uniforms, and iron's didn't steam. She'd use these and sprinkled the uniforms, roll them up, then stick them in the freezer.

My laundry room has a bottle with that type of cap for decoration, a couple of wire rug beaters, a metal iron that used to be put in the fire to get hot (before my time) an old washboard, and the wringer from an old wringer washing machine, all for decoration. Next to my Maytags and uprght freezer!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM

I just went and took a photo of one wall of my laundry room. There's also a metal container that I've never seen used, but I was told years ago it was used to hold laundry soap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-144899.jpe
Views:	65
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	144904  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Wish I could still find them, they were great for sprinkling clothes (not that I iron clothes any more) & would be fantastic for sprinkling fabric. We use to have a dime store that sold them but the store is now gone along with a lot of other neat little stores that you would find these kind of treasures in.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Oh my I remember my mom using those. And teaching me to iron using the sprinkled water.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes, they were used in sprinkler bottles when we used to all have cotton clothes that needed ironing (drudgery!). You sprinkled all the ironing, rolled up each item, let sit and ironed later. Geez, gettin old! Hadn't thought of that for years.