Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with Janome bobbins >

Trouble with Janome bobbins

Trouble with Janome bobbins

Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 AM

I had so much trouble with my Janome. It wouldn't surprise me if the bobbin was the problem on my machine too. I just got fed up with it and bought a new machine. The Janome has been to the repairman, but I haven't used it since. It's my spare. I wonder if it will work when I need it. I doubt it. Why would it want to change now?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

Being a cynic I suspect the reason dealers are against prewound is that Janome loses business. Your dealers may be hearing that prewouds are no good from Janome headquarters.
I've never had trouble with those from Superior Threads (I use Bottom Line mainly, Masterpiece when I want cotton on the bobbin). I've never tried any other prewounds.
Bob tells you on his site which machines do and do not take his bobbins.
The one shortcoming is that neither of my Jems take Bottom Line top and bobbin. My Bernina does. but won't take the prewounds, so have to rewind one onto a Bernina bobbin.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM

I was taught to begin by threading into the tiny hole by going inside the bobbin pushing thread to the outside, then pull the thread down the middle large hole that sits on the machine spindle. Before inserting into the bobbin area I trim the thread close to the bobbin.
I use thread all the way till the bobbin is empty with no issues. Had 6600 P over 2 years.
Hope this is helpful

Teresa in McKinney, TX
a new member
Old 12-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Be sure when you start winding you bobbin, that you stop once it has a good start and trim the thread that you were holding up to start it with really short. Sometimes if you don't this thread can get caught when the bobbin gets low and catch. Hope this makes sense. Be sure to check your bobbin case too to make sure you have not hits on it or rough spots that can catch your thread anytime. This happens when you have mis-threaded it by not having the presser foot up or missing the take-up lever. These two things are vital to any machine. Results = nest of thread in the bobbin area.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM

I have 3 Janomes, the Jem Gold,MC9500 and the MC300E and I would never own any other brand.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
I was taught to begin by threading into the tiny hole by going inside the bobbin pushing thread to the outside, then pull the thread down the middle large hole that sits on the machine spindle. Before inserting into the bobbin area I trim the thread close to the bobbin.
I use thread all the way till the bobbin is empty with no issues. Had 6600 P over 2 years.
Hope this is helpful

Teresa in McKinney, TX
a new member

I do my bobbins the same way for my Janome 6600 as Theresa in McKinney, Tx. I've a 6500 and traded to a 6600 and have had this machine for 2 years. I've never had a problem other than running out of bobbin thread and not knowing for a minute or two. Good luck!!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
I have the 6600 and no problems with my bobbins. I assume you've taken the plate off, taken the bobbin case right out and given a good clean all around the works with a brush? Otherwise, perhaps you are not winding the bobbin correctly - you have to thread a length through the little hole in the bobbin and hold it between you fingers then wind a few turns to secure it. Stop the machine, trim the thread end off then push the button to finish winding. I'm sorry if you ARE doing this then ignore me. :-D
The SQA are different than the normal class 15s. The gals at my LQS where I purchased it have said so. Believe, me I know how to wind a bobbin. I have rewound my bobbins for my SQA so many times I lost count. The only thing that helps me is a little (a 1/4" if that) piece of thick tape, right now I'm using the seam allowance tape, in the bottom of the bobbin casing. It seems to keep the bobbin from jumping around and I've had no problem with it since. Before that the darn thing would skip out of the guide and the thread was being fed off the front (towards you) instead of the back. Sounds crazy but it works for me.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM

I have a Jenome 3500 and am about to buy a 6600, it has been interesting reading all of your takes on the machines and bobbins. I have never had a problem with my 3500 with bobbins and have had it 6 years and love it. I am excited to get my new one and will ask my dealer if she has ever had a problem reported to her about the bobbins. Love this site for opinions. Keep them coming.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:44 PM

I also own the 6600, 7700 Horizon, MC10001, MC11000, so I have had a good bit of 'practice'.
If you are using Janome pre-wound bobbins, you probably should not attempt to use it down to the last inch, because they are wound on a heavy duty bobbin winder, and this usually causes some overlap at the inside of the spool. The overlap actually causes the bobbin to hang up inside the bobbin case - so try to watch and stop the machine before it gets too close to the center.
If you are using other brands of pre-wound bobbins, you should rewind them onto Janome bobbins because the commercial prewound bobbins (even the plastic ones) are smaller than the Janome bobbins and have been known to damage the machine.
If you are winding your own Janome bobbins, you need to do what the other person said; put the thread through the hole in the top, hold it while the winder spins 3 or 4 times, then stop it and cut the tail and then start the winder again. I have never had a bobbin that I wound like this hang on me.
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I've switched to the Memory Craft and IT has no problems with those bobbins. I think it's the AQS. There are times I wish I had never bought it. My husband bought it for me to take to quilt class because the MC is so much heavier. He's been wanting to get a Featherweight for me, maybe I should let him and take that to class!

I have to say, this trouble with the bobbins is making me think twice about a Janome embroidery machine. When I visit the dealer after Christmas, I think I'll ask them about this bobbin trouble. If I get a good answer, I'll let you all know.
Don't know about the bobbin problems 'cause I wind mine, stop and clip and then continue with no probem ever with my Janome or my Elna. After the holidays I'll have a FW cleaned, lubed and tuned for sale. PM me if you think you (or hubby) might be interested.

:-D